PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I've figured out that my tongue bite is occurring while lighting up, and perhaps while relighting. But that raises the question of how to do it better. Other than using drier tobacco, the only thing I can figure is to stop the light sooner. I must be overdoing it. Yes?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've figured out that my tongue bite is occurring while lighting up, and perhaps while relighting. But that raises the question of how to do it better. Other than using drier tobacco, the only thing I can figure is to stop the light sooner. I must be overdoing it. Yes?
I would personally say use matches, a zippo (pipe insert prefered), or a soft flame lighter. That's step one. Second step is what the second person on this thread said (the one after your first post).

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I don't your tongue bite is occurring from lighting. Why are you convinced you isolated to that root cause?
Because that's when I feel it worse. For some reason I got it into my head that the 2nd light needed to be really hot - or at least, that's what I was doing. Twice today I've lit the pipe ever so lightly and have been rewarded with instant flavor and no bite.

And I think it points to another problem. I saw earlier today that someone wrote about the best flavor occurring at a low ember, and said "relight as necessary" as though relighting is part of the experience. I've been trying to get through a bowl without relighting, thinking the relight was a sign of my noob skill level. But maybe not. I've had to relight my current bowl twice bc I'm going so much slower, but the flavor is much better.