PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vecchio

Lurker
Jan 31, 2021
Tampa, FL
Because that's when I feel it worse. For some reason I got it into my head that the 2nd light needed to be really hot - or at least, that's what I was doing. Twice today I've lit the pipe ever so lightly and have been rewarded with instant flavor and no bite.

And I think it points to another problem. I saw earlier today that someone wrote about the best flavor occurring at a low ember, and said "relight as necessary" as though relighting is part of the experience. I've been trying to get through a bowl without relighting, thinking the relight was a sign of my noob skill level. But maybe not. I've had to relight my current bowl twice bc I'm going so much slower, but the flavor is much better.

I have to admit that I personally don't get the idea that a successful smoke = no relights. Relighting after every draw indicates a problem to be sure, but one or two relights per bowl is not a problem. Sometimes that's just the way it burns. And I have found that a soft flame (from my Kiribi lighter) is the key to a good relight.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have to admit that I personally don't get the idea that a successful smoke = no relights. Relighting after every draw indicates a problem to be sure, but one or two relights per bowl is not a problem. Sometimes that's just the way it burns. And I have found that a soft flame (from my Kiribi lighter) is the key to a good relight.
Agree on relights. I generally range from 0 to 3 or 4.

A soft light from any source of flame is one key to a good relight!

Reactions: hairvise

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is no re-lights a sort of badge of honor?
No, but lighting and relighting consumes a lot more tobacco than smoking alone. In a video I made, there's a section of about 70 seconds where I'm blabbing about the video subject matter then return to smoking without relighting. It's all about good packing and tamping.