PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Just put Michelins on my seven-year-old Mazda, so I'm hoping for good luck on the road and will consider costs of regular maintenance a bargain. These are the first new tires since the originals because of low mileage resulting from retirement and the pandemic. It now rides like a higher priced car.
Michelins are great tires. They seem to last forever.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Just put Michelins on my seven-year-old Mazda, so I'm hoping for good luck on the road and will consider costs of regular maintenance a bargain. These are the first new tires since the originals because of low mileage resulting from retirement and the pandemic. It now rides like a higher priced car.
Years back, I put some 80K Michelins on and ‘98 Bronco II with 200K on it already. My wife said I was crazy.
When it died at 271K miles, the tires were fine. Highway miles.
I loved that Bronco II. I drove it well past the distance to the moon.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, we finally couldn't wait any longer. We travel to Louisiana 4-5 times per year, mostly by air. But, air fare is going up, non-stop flights getting less available and rental car prices thru the roof. Monday night, I bought a 2019 Avalon Limited with 9,000 miles on it, with the very specific equipment I was seeking. I looked at a dozen that didn't pass muster (all with under 25k miles) I posted my 2014 MKZ last night and sold this evening (with 215,000 miles). My Lincoln showed far better than most of the AValon's that I passed on, sad. So, I went from sporty Lincoln to old-man Avalon. I paid a couple thousand over what used Avalons were bringing last year,but sold my car for a the same swing, so I guess that is a wash.20210809_191705.jpg20210811_190033.jpgDoes anyone have a pair of white shoes I could use?

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
The car market hasn’t even started to get scarce yet. Based on what I’m seeing for corporate inventory, a lot business owners used to making large capital investments in October to take advantage of section 179 aren’t going to be able to have it installed by the end of the year. So this January, instead of a new X-Ray at your dentist’s office, new fancy machine at the local factory, etc. owners are going to be buying vehicles in their businesses. If you know a successful businessman with a car you like mention you’re on the market. If he owns it in the business he can’t sell it for market value or he has to take income on the recapitalization. TLDR: Lot’s of businesses are going to be buying lots of new cars, try to get their old ones.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, it was time to replace my wife's 2011 Silverado. We looked for months, she had to have black, small V8 (no 5.3L vs 6.2L or Turbo 4/6 Diesel), leather, sunroof and I wanted adaptive cruise control. We found all that of course in Chevy's High Country (old truck was an LTZ). On the way home, we forgot that we had ordered 35 bags of mulch from Lowes, so it got pressed into duty quickly. On Chevy's TV commercial, that multi-use tailgate seemed like just a gimmick, but it just might the most useful feature. No bargaining on price, but we got $4k more for her truck than we were offered 3 years ago! (it was literally mint)

The bad news is, it barely fits in the garage. I have to move my toolbox and workbench down, so I can walk in front of the truck...(and with only 6" to spare in the rear.

Silverado_Garage.jpgLIz_2022.jpgLiz_2011.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
With retailers, most if not all in the US, adding thousands of dollars to MSRPs I suspect used prices will stay high. Pretty much all the retailers are keen on making above average profits. Can't blame tham as a lot of the public seem willing to pay. It appears to be a sellers market and likely to remain so as manufactures are still experiencing supply shortages.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For what it's worth:

Used car prices finally popped last month and the Big 3 just issued profit sharing bonuses with overtime being reinstated.

What's in store? Stay tuned ... if I could predict the future, I'd be making more money doing something else.

Although it has been interesting seeing people with equity in leases and making profit off of trade ins.