PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Ask around with friends and family if anyone has a vehicle they might get rid of. My last 5 vehicles, all used, I got that way. I also think a first car should be safe, but not super nice, and high mileage is fine, even a little crappy. So if she gets in an accident or hits something its not a huge deal. A first car should have a couple of things held together with zip ties.
The only problem with buying something a little crappy is when something goes wrong Im gonna be the one that has to fix it. And I HATE working on cars.

Aug 1, 2012
To the OPs question, the pices will keep rising or plateau for the foreseeable future.

To the EV question, our neighbour's Prius burned to the ground during the night while in her garage a couple years ago. The fire department barely was able to keep it at bay for the 6+ hours it burned so the house didn't go with it. Also, if you look into how long the Rimac car that was crashed during a BBC production burned, it is not encouraging.

The long term ownership costs of Teslas can be more than many realize due to the prohibitive costs of battery fix/replacement. There are other issues (similar to the iPhone scandal) of updates causing lowered performance. Other electric cars are not immune so I'm not just picking on Tesla, just using them as a singular example.

Aug 1, 2012
The only problem with buying something a little crappy is when something goes wrong Im gonna be the one that has to fix it. And I HATE working on cars.
If she learns how to fix it, it'll be a great help down the road. One of the family's favorite stories is that back when Easter was a day you really dressed up to go to church, she came out after the service to find her tire flat. She changed it then and there and somehow (I don't know how because I always get filthy while changing a tire) she did so without messing up her favorite noce dress. My other sister could replace fan belts on her VW in her sleep since it threw them on a regular basis.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Worknman, where do you live, or what state? Maybe also check with independent body shops or mechanics. in my town of 2,500 people, one of the mechanic shops has about 4 used vehicles for sale. Then two of the 3 body shops buy wrecked cars, redo them, then sell them consistently

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
A friend from work bought a scooter to commute with, it was super economical and worked well enough for summer back and forth to work. Some gal didn't see him and turned into him at an intersection, the medical expenses and time off work more than negated the savings. There was a lot of suffering with a tibial plateau fracture. Something to consider.
Being a bicyclist, I completely understand your point.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
did someone say nuts for a truck ?
2012-05-11-Truck_Nuts.jpg

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
As luck would have it I think I lost my transfer case or transmission this morning. Waiting to see. Worst time to try and replace my truck so I may ride it out over the winter and see if car prices come down a bit by spring. I am retired so I can make do for awhile. It is a 2001 Silverado so it has earned its keep through the years.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since my gloomy two-year prediction on car prices correcting down, I have read several business writers who think this will happen quickly. I don't see it, but I'm not economist. I hope it is true that lower prices are in sight, before car theft becomes rife (for one thing). If you have a car that is in good running shape, I'd hang onto it for now (or is that obvious ... like, what else can we do?).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Every market corrects eventually, and so will this one. The chip shortage will end. It may take the approaching recession to make that change significant. That $80,000 truck will get back down to $40,000.
In the meantime these stratospheric prices make my fixing my 15 year old car a much better plan. Looks like hell and still runs silent and smooth.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
Every market corrects eventually, and so will this one. The chip shortage will end. It may take the approaching recession to make that change significant. That $80,000 truck will get back down to $40,000.
In the meantime these stratospheric prices make my fixing my 15 year old car a much better plan. Looks like hell and still runs silent and smooth.
2020 Toyota Tundra 1st year that truck came out. Just finished a trip around the Black Hills in her. I've been making a car payment to savings, so far I'm not in a hurry to go shopping.

20210717_124931.jpg

Reactions: sablebrush52

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
2020 Toyota Tundra 1st year that truck came out. Just finished a trip around the Black Hills in her. I've been making a car payment to savings, so far I'm not in a hurry to go shopping.

View attachment 88640
You mean the 2000 Tundra? I put 280k miles on mine a few years back and sold it to a guy. A couple years later I ran into him and he said it was the best truck he ever had.

Reactions: Rockyrepose

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just put Michelins on my seven-year-old Mazda, so I'm hoping for good luck on the road and will consider costs of regular maintenance a bargain. These are the first new tires since the originals because of low mileage resulting from retirement and the pandemic. It now rides like a higher priced car.