PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
While this is similar to umpteen thousand other threads, I like the "only for a little while" aspect of this question. It doesn't make me sweat as much as "could only ever have X# blends" sort of question. Much less at stake here.

This would probably change next week, but if I had to pack right now from what I have available:

GLP Windjammer
McClelland Navy Cavendish
F&T Special Brown Flake
3:1 mix of Peretti BPC and Wilke Rumcake

I see a theme in my choices; I guess I should have a Dark and Stormy or perhaps a real Daiquiri tonight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This thread is different from asking what one blend you would take to a desert island, but it is the same idea. Some of the pleasure of pipe smoking right now is variety.

My dad was a child of the twenties and then the Great Depression, so he settled on one low-cost blend, Granger, and stuck with it from about age 15 until he was 65 and quit altogether to start a new career at a no-smoking campus. He quit cold turkey, after fifty years of all-day pipe smoking. He'd only owned one pipe at a time (with a near-burn-out as a back-up) and only smoked Granger from the foil pouch. He departed life at age 89 licensed to drive without glasses.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
These kinds of questions are always tough, but I try to approach them like this: instead of choosing blends that cover a variety of genres, I choose blends that cover a variety of moods. In that vein:

For all day, no-thinking, no fuss, consumption:
C&D's Haunted Bookshop

For something savory, suited to slow sipping, and leisure:
G.L. Pease's Windjammer

For a sweet tooth and/or something to smoke when around others:
Boswell's Bear Blend

For contemplation's sake, something bold and leaves an impression:
Peterson's Irish Flake

And like others, I reserve the right to change these at any time. puffy

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Headed overseas and had to choose just four tobaccos to take with me. Here's what I ended up choosing:

G&H Co Coniston Cut Plug
GLP Chelsea Morning (wanted to save my H&H black house)
Escudo
7 Seas Black

Almost subbed 7 seas for Bob's Chocolate Flake, but buddy will be partaking too and not sure whether Bob's would be enjoyable for someone who partakes once every few years.

What would you choose if limited to 4? Maybe a suggestion will make me do a last minute sub. Still considering subbing Salty Dogs or Folklore for Escudo.

1.esoterica tilbury
2. Esoterica Dorchester
3. GLP Union Square
4. McClelland mature Virginia