Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Mostly it's the S30V blade causing the difficulty. But there is a strong argument for an easy to sharpen blade.
Yeah, it’s just a personal preference. I prefer a harder edge that’ll hold longer on my hunting knives. My pet peeve is to be skinning a deer or hog and have my knife get dull before I’m done. Hogs are the worst. I don’t know if it’s the coarse hair or what, but they will dull a softer edge fast.
I can sharpen on my belt grinder and “strop” with a buffer, and it only takes a few seconds. Not everyone has a belt grinder handy though, and a buffer is super dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing or lose concentration. There was a fellow knife maker, Gordon Dempsey, that was killed by his buffer.

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
The ones I’ve owned that were made in the USA were good. I can’t bring myself to buy a knife made in China, so I don’t have experience with any of those models. They may be good, too, but I just can’t do it ?
@Country Bladesmith me too ? I have a few Case folders and appreciate that they are still made in the ??
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

Jul 3, 2020
Scottish Borders
I have always carried small folding knives like the Case Peanut and the Kershaw Scallion - I’d post pics but the problem with small knives is that I keep losing them :(
I’m a big fan of the Case Peanut ? There used to be a thread on a knife forum of tasks being completed with the humble Case Peanut. I dressed out a Roe deer doe with mines.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I’m a big fan of the Case Peanut ? There used to be a thread on a knife forum of tasks being completed with the humble Case Peanut. I dressed out a Roe deer doe with mines.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
Well that is impressive!
Mine generally gets used to cut twine and open boxes lol. When closed one end also works pretty well as a tamper.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
In Spain, the only thing I can legally take is a lollipop...
Can you really not carry a knife in Spain? Not even a Swiss Army Knife? Any blade length restrictions?

How about smoking in public? Can you smoke in a park, on a sidewalk, or in a bar?

I've travelled in Spain and spent several weeks in both Salamanca and Granada, but that was 20 years ago. Everyone was smoking then as I remember. Really enjoyed Spain and hope to return.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
In Spain, the only thing I can legally take is a lollipop...
¿De verdad no se puede llevar un cuchillo en España? ¿Ni siquiera una navaja suiza? ¿Alguna restricción de longitud de cuchilla?

¿Qué tal fumar en público? ¿Se puede fumar en un parque, en una acera o en un bar?

He viajado por España y he pasado varias semanas tanto en Salamanca como en Granada, pero eso fue hace 20 años. Todo el mundo fumaba entonces, según recuerdo. Realmente disfruté de España y espero volver.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
A bit off topic, apologies... Has anyone forgotten to remove their pocket knife whilst at the airport, trying to board a flight?

Prior to entering an airport once I realized I had a Swiss Army knife in my pocket. I stashed it in a bush outside and retrieved it upon my return. I was anxious on my whole trip about possibly losing that knife. $30 knife, but still...it had a sentimental value. ?
Many years ago I forgot I had my Swiss Army knife and they let me check it as luggage, even found me a box (huge!) and helped me seal it up.

Don't remember which airport. That was along time ago, pre 9/11 I think.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Can you really not carry a knife in Spain? Not even a Swiss Army Knife? Any blade length restrictions?

How about smoking in public? Can you smoke in a park, on a sidewalk, or in a bar?

I've travelled in Spain and spent several weeks in both Salamanca and Granada, but that was 20 years ago. Everyone was smoking then as I remember. Really enjoyed Spain and hope to return.
Hi friend. Spain is being destroyed with the new ideology, model Justin Trudeau= A fool with a tin of gasoline in a gunpowder warehouse= with this government that we currently have. You can hardly see people smoking on the street. this badly seen. You can smoke park by far from the people. In the bar only the terrace, vey few today........We live in an era of intergalactic stupidity...........I'm glad you were wnjoying it Spain.........

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
I
Thanks ?It’s XXV, represents the 25th Regiment of Foot - the Kings Own Scottish Borderers which was my family Regiment. Now the 1st Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland, The Royal Scot’s Borderers.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
I'm glad I asked! That is fascinating and a wonderful tribute to your family history!

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I strongly prefer Full Flat-ground blades (FFG).

My current is a Spyderco Ikuchi

View attachment 90408
I've had my eye on the Ikuchi for a while now. Haven't been able to see one in person so I don't know how it handles for me.
My 'everyday' changes with what I wear. Usually a Cold Steel American Lawman, Spyderco Gayle Bradley or a Benchmade Griptilian or a Spyderco Manix. I have a lot of knives. My knife purchases are very similar to my pipe purchases. I have too many. I only use a few.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I usually carry a Leatherman multitool and a Schrade Old Timer folding knife. Weapon potential never really enters the equation for me, just utility and versatility.

Since nobody wins a knife fight unless the other party is unarmed or caught completely unprepared, and then it’s no longer self-defense in the eyes of the law, I feel like prudence and a good pair of running shoes are always a better value than any knife on the market from a defensive standpoint.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I rotate between a Buck 55 (half the size of a 110, but same knife otherwise), an old no name advertising knife, and an Old Timer Stockman. Perfect for any day to day knife tasks like opening Amazon boxes, cutting fishing line, or slicing an apple. And it has the benefit of not raising eyebrows of my kids' friends' moms. That's something I look for in an EDC knife.