PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
2 Jakes custom made sheepsfoot that I wear in a leather neck sheath, under my shirt. Handle is petrified wooly mammoth bone, corals and turquoise.
This is my do all, EDC. Great for working around the farm. No pointy end, very safe to work with.

The Fallkniven F1 is either in my boot or sometimes on my hip. Kydex sheath. Full Tang laminated steel survival knife for when I need to, umm.... survive.
PXL_20210731_215311483~2.jpg

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
All knife grinds are a compromise. It’s just a matter of what tasks will be demanded of the knife. Full flat grinds are great for being really sharp and doing lots of delicate slicing and push cutting, but are a little more susceptible to edge deformation than something like a convex grind. Just different horses for different courses.
Ok, that makes total sense. It sounds like eventually I'm going to want to expand my blade rotation with ones with other options/uses -

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Leatherman Skeletool:

View attachment 90416

Knife blade, pliers, wire cutter, 2 sizes of philips and flat screwdrivers, and I've opened countless bottles of beer with the bottle opener. All in one tool that's marginally larger than most simple knives.
Right on, lots of options! I'll bet it's a lot lighter too with that design than the classic Leatherman -

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
For folders I like Benchmade’s Axis lock. A lot. Complete game changer for one-handed operation, with the benefits of being almost as fast to open as an auto, and faster/easier to close. Great EDC utility. I carry a Mini Griptillian. It’s not big enough to be a pocket hog, but still big enough to be comfortable enough in the hand and useful.

For fixed blades, I know a guy. ??
That Axis Lock is what I'm pretty drawn to as well. Though it's cheap, my current knife's thumb stud really allows for quick, one handed opening while handling whatever it is that needs cut with my non-dominant hand. I'll check that Mini Griptillian out for sure.

I'll keep you in mind for fixed blades! Do you have any pictures on other threads here?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Been carrying this Boker for a while now and like it. It's the version with the XHP steel. Less than $70 too, which is important when you start losing things. :oops:View attachment 90444
That's a handsome blade! That's another thing I'm a little worried about - I've never lost much of anything but would be pretty bummed if I paid $200+ for a knife and then lost it -

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
In Spain, the only thing I can legally take is a lollipop. But I have this ripper. If one day I have to defend my life, or that of my family. in an exceptional situation. Quick shave..............Is a Extrema Ratio FULCRUM II D BLACK............View attachment 90447View attachment 90448
Gotcha! Now that's a pretty serious looking tool! Blade looks strong -

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
2 Jakes custom made sheepsfoot that I wear in a leather neck sheath, under my shirt. Handle is petrified wooly mammoth bone, corals and turquoise.
This is my do all, EDC. Great for working around the farm. No pointy end, very safe to work with.

The Fallkniven F1 is either in my boot or sometimes on my hip. Kydex sheath. Full Tang laminated steel survival knife for when I need to, umm.... survive.
View attachment 90457
Very nice! I bought a little patch knife from Dixie Gunworks last year that I wear in it's neck sheath as well, very handy for little things and a great conversation starter!

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Very nice! I bought a little patch knife from Dixie Gunworks last year that I wear in it's neck sheath as well, very handy for little things and a great conversation starter!
I pulled my neck knife out at a pub, to slice my sandwich in half. Conversations ceased... and people stared.

I forget that people aren't used to such things.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I'll keep you in mind for fixed blades! Do you have any pictures on other threads here?
I posted a few pictures in this thread. Post #28. I haven’t done much smithing this summer because I moved schools (teaching is my main job) and had a lot of paperwork and physical moving to do, but usually most of my posts in the WAYS thread are done from my shop with sweaty hands ?