PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
But shouldn’t a real conversation include naysayers? Otherwise it’s just a bunch of Pat on the backs.

I don’t necessarily have an issue with the test itself. But in my case, there was a lot of social construct, “team building”, and all of the other garbage that goes along with that type of test in a public or corporate setting. The results are whatever you want to do with them on a personal level. For me, professionally, the whole experience was awful. Internally, I found the results of no use. It was like looking out the window when it’s raining, I can see it raining and the weatherman tells me “rain today”. Yeah, no kidding, what an observation I didn’t totally see out my window.

The experience of a test like this is as much important as the categorization. Asking for just the 4 letter result without discussion on the topic is almost counter intuitive to the question.

I've seen behind the curtain at several major IT/comm companies, and in every case personality workshop stuff was seen by the Deciders as a way for the rank and file to "feel cared for" by the company. A way to create good will between staff and upper(ish) management.

The middle managers liked having it as leverage when leaning on teams about deadlines and such. "I know you can do it. You understand how to make things happen better now than ever before, right? So get on it. We don't want [insert big boss's name] thinking he wasted $120K bringing that M-B crew through here last summer."

Did it actually produce anything quantifiable / measurable? Nope.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Now that's funny, rat thar. rotf
Funnier still given one of the biggest knocks on the Myers Briggs is that people who really believe in it suffer from confirmation bias. You take a test about yourself and what do know the results show you are almost exactly the way you think you are? Who cares if no one else agrees or if that result has no utility. Horoscopes work on a similar premis.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
We don't want [insert big boss's name] thinking he wasted $120K bringing that M-B crew through here last summer."

Did it actually produce anything quantifiable / measurable? Nope.
It is always, absolutely, a waste of the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on the consulting companies to do all of these things.

The last few years I have run the gamut of all the popular “training” courses going on these days. It produced a good, quantifiable pay day for the consultants for sure!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Definitely a waste of company resources, considering these tests are online for free and as evidenced above, people are still quick to relegate applied psychology to the dust bin because it's not as reproducible as a mathematical proof. A lot of people also appear to be incapable or scared of structured introspection, so resources such as this are not universally beneficial. I have voted against using this method in professional environments before, but the HR people need things to do, so I've always been outvoted.

I do find validity in this test, as I do some of the astrological sciences, because pattern recognition is a thing (at least, it is one of the skills I tap most in my personal and professional life). I have taken this test at 3 different times in my life, including as a result of this thread, and received the same result every time - ENTJ. Every time, I have shared results with fellow students, coworkers, and, this time, my wife. Every time, people have agreed with the results as I am, as my wife so eloquently put it, the "most compassionate dictator" she has ever met. I'll add those notes to her file for the quarterly review.

That said, all archetypes (or the positions of planets) can do is incline, not compel. We still makes our choices and reaps our consequences. No inborn trait or heavenly body can circumvent that.

Reactions: fireground_piper

BingBong

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Ah but, your subject matter does interest me. Interests me enough to post a reply. I wasn't trying to "rain on your parade" simply post a bit of opposing perspective. Didn't intend to cause you to get your panties all bunched up. This is after all a forum open to many opinions and observations. It's what we do discuss different subjects, and contribute, within the rules, opinions. If you don't want to read replies which do not appeal to you, you should stay away from controversial subjects. Stick with subjects we all agree on like, P-lips, Escudo, and such.rotf
Whoah! When did everyone agree on Plips and Escudo?

Natal astrology is jolly good when you want to find out what a woman's kinks are, in my experience. Oh yes.