PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Meyers-Briggs is nothing more than a dangerous pseudo science parlor game. I have seen it used in an Educational setting which started out as "fun" activity and turned into a personality and professional straight jacket for those whose score did not match the "vision" of the "in-crowd"....really terrible

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
*facepalm*

What's the matter with this forum? If it doesn't interest you, why shit on somebody else's thread? When you're at a restaurant and someone orders a menu item you're not fond of, do you compulsively walk up and say, "I wouldn't eat that. It's nasty," and walk away?

What I was looking for here was a change of pace, the chance to engage people with a shared interest not usually on this forum. What I've gotten instead is an all you can eat buffet of toxicity.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The entertaining part of personality profiling is how the test batteries are sold as "information unlocking tools" to HR departments so that their company's employees can work together better...

...when society in general is in full frontal attack mode regarding a long list of "isms" because presuming human behavior based on likelihoods, appearance, and historical performance is now the Evil of all Evils. Up to and including physical characteristics determining someone's sex. (So-called "misgendering" is an actual prosecutable crime that can result in prison time in some places.)

You'd think, in other words, personality profiling would be outlawed categorically whether it actually works or not.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
What I was looking for here was a change of pace, the chance to engage people with a shared interest not usually on this forum.
You picked a controversial subject and tried to sell it. Obviously not every member is going to support your position. You might have prefaced your original post with a request that only those who agree with you need reply. Wouldn't have worked though! rotf A bit of lusty back and forth shouldn't ruin your day.

Reactions: woodsroad

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
It's not about agreement, and this isn't an example of back and forth. It's a non-starter. And if you find personality typing controversial, that's all in your head.

There's a reason why, at the Vegas Pipe Show, I met so many people who used to be on this forum but aren't anymore. They all said the same thing that I said above. All trolling and no engaging makes for a lukewarm experience at best.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
If it doesn't interest you, why shit on somebody else's thread?
Ah but, your subject matter does interest me. Interests me enough to post a reply. I wasn't trying to "rain on your parade" simply post a bit of opposing perspective. Didn't intend to cause you to get your panties all bunched up. This is after all a forum open to many opinions and observations. It's what we do discuss different subjects, and contribute, within the rules, opinions. If you don't want to read replies which do not appeal to you, you should stay away from controversial subjects. Stick with subjects we all agree on like, P-lips, Escudo, and such.rotf

• Haha
Reactions: fireground_piper

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Did you conduct a poll? Hand out a questionnaire?
He didn't have to. The forum came up quite a bit for some reason and the opinions were shared readily. There's very little point in starting a conversation here becaue the nay-sayers, curmudgeons, anti-social gatekeepers are just going to come in and shut threads down if it doesn't pass their bleak and predictable vibe check.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I asked: What's your personality type?
I see the title asks that. But, then your post extolled the benefits of such testing. Certainly that is your reality. I simple didn't realize opposing positions were verboten. My abject apologies for deigning to disagree with your premise regarding how efficacious these tests with regard to "self-improvement and understanding." Providing of course, one selects the correct test. That, I saw, needed some balance maybe, even a bit of refutation.

Finally you requested we take the tests and choose which seems most correct. That seemed to require a response. I elected to poo-poo both. Again my apologies. But, it appears, if I was in fact trolling as opposed to pointing out possible damage such polls could cause, you took the bait and ran with it.

I'll leave off with that said. Wouldn't want the thread locked.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't comprehend all the paranoia? What, are people afraid soomeone will think they smoke aromatics and leave 1/2" of tobacco at the bottom of the bowl? I didn't realize these tests had a right and wrong outcome. Warren, relax man, the sexual encounter you had with a caribou won't come out. I'm pretty sure it was a female caribou so it's all okay..

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I was simply pointing out the damage that can be done by "pop-psych" to some members of society with low self-esteem or other issues. Not a subject to be taken lightly. Witness the OP's sincerity, he posted and advocated. I simply pointed out some problems and he protested while pointing out he wasn't looking for opposition. If that's accepted, and I accept it, he chose a very, very "hot" subject. A subject which would naturally cause some consternation among some members. I being one. It's all fairly simple and neither my replies nor any other replies should cause such problems. Nothing written here needs to be taken personally.

If I'm the sole cause of the post going off the rails well, so be it.

So, IBTL with my apologies.

• Love
Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's not about agreement, and this isn't an example of back and forth. It's a non-starter. And if you find personality typing controversial, that's all in your head.

There's a reason why, at the Vegas Pipe Show, I met so many people who used to be on this forum but aren't anymore. They all said the same thing that I said above. All trolling and no engaging makes for a lukewarm experience at best.
Some people only want affirmation and slide rapidy into cognitive dissonance at the first hint of meaningful discussion. Would that trait show up in the M-B survey?

• Haha
Reactions: jbfrady and warren
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
He didn't have to. The forum came up quite a bit for some reason and the opinions were shared readily. There's very little point in starting a conversation here becaue the nay-sayers, curmudgeons, anti-social gatekeepers are just going to come in and shut threads down if it doesn't pass their bleak and predictable vibe check.
But shouldn’t a real conversation include naysayers? Otherwise it’s just a bunch of Pat on the backs.

I don’t necessarily have an issue with the test itself. But in my case, there was a lot of social construct, “team building”, and all of the other garbage that goes along with that type of test in a public or corporate setting. The results are whatever you want to do with them on a personal level. For me, professionally, the whole experience was awful. Internally, I found the results of no use. It was like looking out the window when it’s raining, I can see it raining and the weatherman tells me “rain today”. Yeah, no kidding, what an observation I didn’t totally see out my window.

The experience of a test like this is as much important as the categorization. Asking for just the 4 letter result without discussion on the topic is almost counter intuitive to the question.