PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I've been on the forum for a minute and I've never thought to ask. I did a search to make sure I wasn't overlooking the topic, but nobody seems to have started a thread specific for personality type.

If you're unfamiliar, MBTI is a personality theory started about a century ago off some general premises from Jungian psychology. The weakness of the system is that, since you have to take a test, it relies on a particular grasp of self-awareness. Still, once you land on the accurate one, it's a great tool for self-improvement and understanding.

Here are links to two free tests and I suggest taking both, reading over them, and seeing which result seems most accurate.

ThomasS

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Aww... disappointing, here I was trying to figure what "Mean Time Between" we were going to be asked.

Mean time between inhales?

(and yeah, I transposed the letters in my head. Alas)

As others who have had these forced on them at work, I despise these tests.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
INTJ-A Architect. The Architect is a rare, but very capable, personality type, full of contradictions. Architects strive hard to be, do, and achieve more to escape the all too common (for the rest of society, that is) clutches of mediocrity. But they don’t always know the best way to go about distinguishing themselves on their own terms.

Personality type: Architect (INTJ-A)
Traits: Introverted – 53%, Intuitive – 54%, Thinking – 78%, Judging – 65%, Assertive – 68%
Role: Analyst
Strategy: Confident Individualism

I've taken these before, no major changes. It seems reasonably accurate but, who cares? I'm 67, I own my own small business with 1 1/2 employees and there's practically no chance I'll work in a corporate environment again. I left the corporate environment 30 years ago and happy I did.

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'd rather take the "What OS are you test?" If I'm gonna waste my time, I'd rather read entertaining and funny questions whilst doing it.

Arthur Machen wrote of the "science" of psychology as one ounce of sense and a pound of nonsense. A hundred years after his wise assessment it's become a pinch of sense and 10 tons of nonsense.

For personality "types" I still go by the old melancholic/choleric/sanguine/phlegmatic. It's the "system" I've found best.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I can get that. In a work setting, the same tool can become stressful, because it becomes a method for the employer to better motivate (i.e. control) you.
Well, control is what psychology is all about. A friend of mine who majored in psychology told me that right from the get go, in the first psychology class the instructor stated that the purpose of psychology was to study and control human behaviour. When they speak of controlling behaviour, they mean others' not their own.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
INTJ-A Architect. The Architect is a rare, but very capable, personality type, full of contradictions. Architects strive hard to be, do, and achieve more to escape the all too common (for the rest of society, that is) clutches of mediocrity. But they don’t always know the best way to go about distinguishing themselves on their own terms.

Personality type: Architect (INTJ-A)
Traits: Introverted – 53%, Intuitive – 54%, Thinking – 78%, Judging – 65%, Assertive – 68%
Role: Analyst
Strategy: Confident Individualism

I've taken these before, no major changes. It seems reasonably accurate but, who cares? I'm 67, I own my own small business with 1 1/2 employees and there's practically no chance I'll work in a corporate environment again. I left the corporate environment 30 years ago and happy I did.
Heyyyy look, somebody answered the f@cking question!

Last edited:

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Well, control is what psychology is all about. A friend of mine who majored in psychology told me that right from the get go, in the first psychology class the instructor stated that the purpose of psychology was to study and control human behaviour. When they speak of controlling behaviour, they mean others' not their own.
Absolutely, though it's a tool than can be used for self control or the manipulation of others. But here.... this is just a thread on a forum and meant purely for entertainment.

Reactions: olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Absolutely, though it's a tool than can be used for self control or the manipulation of others. But here.... this is just a thread on a forum and meant purely for entertainment.
Yeah, I get you.

It's just that what with how the "science" has been weaponised and taken to ridiculous extremes that some of us get kinda jumpy out of being sore.

Speaking of ridiculous and insidious: at one time someone posted on one of the suxial medias that the following actually is a job interview question:
"It's 1 AM and you're in bed asleep when the doorbell rings and it's your family from out of town coming for a surprise visit with you. You have to scramble through the tins and jars in the fridge trying to find something to feed them at such late hour. What do you open first?"​

:rolleyes:

Yeah, the answer is "my eyes".

I woulda answered "a can of ale so I can go back to sleep", then proceed to tell the interviewer, "well, to silly questions silly answers. I've no time to play mind games."

• Haha
Reactions: jbfrady

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Heh, I indulged the OP. LOL.

16pers.jpg

Not sure they nailed it in the Judging vs. Prospecting category. Upon reading the description of such, I find that I'm more of the judging kind. Then again, I wasn't overthinking the questions when answering.

Reactions: jbfrady