PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
McClelland used to make some rather dense flakes, so they did know how to make proper plugs, presumably here in the US. That art and/or the machine seem to have been since lost.
McClelland never made a plug, they didn’t have the machinery. When I think plug, I think GH steam jacketed press. Who else does that?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
McClelland never made a plug, they didn’t have the machinery. When I think plug, I think GH steam jacketed press. Who else does that?
I believe what Ming is saying is, where there is a dense flake, there once was a plug...
Apparently Mac Baren, STG, and Dan Tobacco all have the capability. Also, JTI still produces Condor Plugs in Poland, so they must have the machinery to do so.

Reactions: Casual and mingc

Gubbins

Might Stick Around
Feb 5, 2020
Pease: Jack Knife Plug (it’s an ode to the olde worlde plugs but unfortunately they don’t have the proper equipment to get the plugs pressed like they do in Europe) that being said, it’s a damn fine blend.
Temple Bar - a lightly topped plug but one I really enjoy.
Triple Play - basically JKP with perique.

I'm curious why you say Temple Bar is topped? Jeremy Reeves indicated to me it is not topped or cased. Not even with sugar.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm curious why you say Temple Bar is topped? Jeremy Reeves indicated to me it is not topped or cased. Not even with sugar.
They often say that... have you tried it before? It smells like rum to me, specifically the rum they top Black Frigate with. Not only do I smell it when I open the tin but I can taste it pretty strong in the smoke, straight tobacco just doesn’t taste or smell like that.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Might Stick Around
Feb 5, 2020
They often say that... have you tried it before? It smells like rum to me, specifically the rum they top Black Frigate with. Not only do I smell it when I open the tin but I can taste it pretty strong in the smoke, straight tobacco just doesn’t taste or smell like that.

Yes it's one of my favorite blends. I have Black Frigate as well. I smell orientals and maybe some fermentation, but no rum in the smell or taste ?‍♂️

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone mentioned Jackknife. That was praised a lot about two years ago, or three. I have an unopened tin of that that I suspect I'll like. I never quite catch up with my purchases.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I haven't tried Revor, Condor, nor Warrior plugs. My favorites at present are, in order, St. James Plug, Full Virginia Plug, Salty Dogs, and Bosun Plug. These are all robust tobaccos. Wessex Gold Brick is good, too, if you enjoy grassy Virginia's.

Reactions: hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Well, you are probably right man, maybe it’s not topped. Either way, I think we can both agree that it’s a damn fine plug! :) Have you tried Dreams of Kadath? I think they are pretty similar but different enough to warrant having both in ones cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.