PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I know we have a few plug tobacco's down here in the colonies. To me they don't seem that firm. To me a plug has to be a dense cube of tobacco composed of layers of leaf pressed and steamed together until the finished product is a shiny dark brown or black cube. So what's your favorite? We all know I thrive on Warrior, Condor (old) Mick McQuid, War Horse original and any of the S&G offerings assuming they are soaked in Rose Geranium. I really do not care for Erinmore Plug, Yachtsman Plug. Tell me your favorite U.K plugs.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’m gonna watch this thread closely because Condor just named the ones I love, so ... if there are some good suggestions I’m going on an Easter egg hunt!

I have recently tried Revor which is great and although it’s a different breed from the named ones Salty Dogs is quite nice.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Favorites:
1. Condor (thanks to you?)
2. Sam Gawith RB
3. Warrior
In that order.
Really want to try Revor and Yachtsman some day.
I've tried a few American plugs that were good blends, but I feel manufacturers should stick with the Crumble Cake naming convention if they aren't densely pressed homogeneous blocks. If you can't slice off a nice flake, it isn't really a plug!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Revor? Total acquired taste
bClrh8i.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For me Condor is #1. Warrior/ Erinmore/McQuaid/PPP/S&G... puffy
I can pretty much agree with this! And I’ll add Revor Plug, Salty Dogs & Dark Plug (GH&Co.) but Condor Plug... hands down thee best plug ever made (IMO).

I agree with the OP’s statement and for the longest time I stayed away from the American made stuff but I have come to love a few of the Pease and C&D offerings.

Pease: Jack Knife Plug (it’s an ode to the olde worlde plugs but unfortunately they don’t have the proper equipment to get the plugs pressed like they do in Europe) that being said, it’s a damn fine blend.
Temple Bar - a lightly topped plug but one I really enjoy.
Triple Play - basically JKP with perique.

C&D: Dreams of Kadath - it’s pretty similar to Temple Bar but with a bit of a heavier hand in the flavoring dept.

There is an HU Plug that I really want to try but unfortunately I can’t quite remember the name at the moment...
Oh and I almost forgot to mention (because it was a limited edition) but Old Dark Fired Plug! They need to bring that into their line up! I much prefer it to the Flake but I always prefer the plug to the flake... if their is a plug version available, I’ll take it.

Last edited:

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
PPP and Salty Dogs are current favs, with HU Krater-Plug a somewhat distant third (it's more crumbly). I've got some GH Dark Plug and some ODF Plug, but I'm letting those sit another couple years before I try them. I expect they'll also be to my liking. I like JKP, but prefer the ready rubbed to the "plug".

Status
Not open for further replies.