What's Your Favorite Pipe for Backpacking or Camping?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikebjrtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2012
Hurst TX
One more vote for cobs. My favorite is the Missouri pride. I don’t know why it’s the least expensive one they make. That’s not the reason why it’s my favorite BTW.

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Any corn cob is a great light weight and care free choice. They'll last a long time if you don't smoke them too hot. Don't have to worry if you lose it.

Reactions: Architeuthis

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
Of Course, Cob is Nice Choice!

But I recommend Cob rather than Briar.

It's hard, so you can just throw it in your bag, and you don't have to worry about breaking it.
If you are worried about the tenon breaking down,
it is also a good idea to separate the stem from the stummel and put it in the bag.

I sometimes go fishing for 2 days, and I bring the briar pipes for less than 100 dollars.
When a lot of fish is bite, they wait for me with the wet ash and tobacco.

In Korea, pipes that are used in harsh environment are called 'pipes for Combat'.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
MM Diplomat and oddly enough, paired with an old Denmark factory made Stanwell circa 1989 with Military mount —- reason being the inexpensive MM black plastic stems fit the Stanwell!

So on an outing, both pipes share one stem and disassembled take up no space at all. Further, it keeps my original Stanwell stem pristine. I love that replacement MM stems at .50 cents each fit that Stanwell and I can really enjoy that pipe while chewing away on a .50 cent stem without a care in the world.

I just enjoyed Ham Radio Field day and this pairing along with a large thermos of hot coffee got me through an enjoyable all nighter.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
MM Freehand is my choice of cob for out and about. It has a nice tall bowl, easy to clench and if filled completely it gives quite the long smoke.

Brigham 'Sportsman' pipes are also decent - good quality Briar, rusticated or natural finish. Quite sturdy and fairly cheap. The only issue is you need to carry a pack of those maple filters.

Reactions: Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
As many have said, cobs are a clear choice. Also, MM sells very inexpensive hardwood pipes that are very lightweight good smokers. Last time I was trout fishing in North Georgia, I picked up a couple at the checkout counter at Betty's Country Store in Helen. If your hands are otherwise occupied, a lightweight clencher is nice.

Reactions: Frasermac

Barredbenny

Lurker
Jul 16, 2021
London, UK
I usually take my Norther Briars bamboo billiard. It is a pipe made by Ian Walker before Northern Briars became a high-end artisan brand. It is a good honest pipe, rusticated and with a rather rough finish on the bamboo and stem, but it has heaps of character and smokes like a champ. It is a pipe that was meant to be used, not babied, so that's what I do.

Reactions: Mtlpiper

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
When I am out enjoying the Wilderness Fishing Hiking Camping.
I usually have a couple Corn Cobbs in my pack. But A few months ago I purchased a Morgan Bones pipe. That is the one I take out with me most often now. It smokes great and if I lose it or some how manage to brake it in half. No big deal, I think I payed about 40 Dollars for it.