What's Your Favorite Pipe for Backpacking or Camping?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My back-packing experience is mostly confined to one three-week excursion in the Blue Ridge mountains. I've heard some veteran back-packers, like the Appalachian Trail folks, take such extremes as breaking the handles off their toothbrushes to keep the weight down. Though this sounds sort of fanciful to me, it is an argument for nose warmer cobs as camping pipes for shear light weight. Just don't turn around and tell me you took along your espresso pot.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My back-packing experience is mostly confined to one three-week excursion in the Blue Ridge mountains. I've heard some veteran back-packers, like the Appalachian Trail folks, take such extremes as breaking the handles off their toothbrushes to keep the weight down. Though this sounds sort of fanciful to me, it is an argument for nose warmer cobs as camping pipes for shear light weight. Just don't turn around and tell me you took along your espresso pot.
I’ve done a few 50 milers. Probably would carry a cigar and whiskey to share with my friends.

heathandleaf

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2020
Tennessee
Wifey and I go hiking frequently - short to moderate day hikes. Regardless of the length of the outing, I have a backpack with about 4 pre-loaded pipes of varying degrees of cost, and all are lightweight (< 50g). I only have one cob, and I never use it because it is too long, too heavy, and I don't appreciate the art of it as much as I do my briar collection. My selection process for tobacco and pipes before the hike is a ritual I enjoy, and I don't shun a pipe based on how much I spent on it.

Being an occasional klutz, I tend to own more rusticated/blasted models in the event I drop one. The only times I've intentionally packed pipes I was okay with losing have been the times they were in checked luggage for a flight. Like wrecking a car, I'd rather lose or damage a loved pipe by my own foolishness than someone else's.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Looking through my own camping supplies unearthed another option. A couple thrift/antique store finds. Turns out last summer I had tossed in a couple estate Medicos and Kaywoodies in with the cobs in an old toiletries bag.

Reactions: Jacob74

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I don't have a specific pipe. Since the wife is not a camper, we don't camp. I have been looking at getting a Tsuge Spyder or H. Weibe for travel since they break down. I'm a little hesitant on the Weibe since I've had two of their bowl experience burn out. I like the Spyder because it comes with a cap so you can seal half a bowl and relight it later without your bag or pockets end up covered in dottle.

In the mean time, I'd take a crappy pipe or two with me. Or my Davidoff's. If you are unfamiliar with Davidoff pipes, they are...um...unique...kinda...not really. A classic example of someone sticking their name on someone else's product and calling it upscale. I got 4 of them cheap. They smoke well enough but there is nothing special about them.

Last edited:

whitebar

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
When I go camping I load up either a 5 pipe or 7 pipe leather pipe case depending on the length of the trip. These cases really help protect the pipes and I have never had any damage to a pipe. My most often packed pipes are Castello sea rocks. They are really rough and tumble pipes that can take a beating without damage. I will also often pack a meerschaum in its hard case because they can be smoked every day without resting them.

When backpacking I usually bring one sea rock and one meerschaum in my backpack. These two pipes allow for multiple smokes per day.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I always take one when I go backpacking(see profile picture). I take smaller pipes and keep it in a sunglasses case(Simi-rigid).
I don't shy away from nice ones as I take care of them when packing and place it in a safe spot in my pack.

I did just get an army mount Castello kk(small) that will go with me next time. Last trip I took an Abe herbaugh smooth lumberman. I think he's a backpacker too.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Take 3 cobs that are entirely disposable and very cheap. You're saying that the pipes may be lost or damaged. The guys that are recommending that you spend more and get something sturdy are missing that point.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I like filtered pipes first off. I don’t have to worry about running a cleaner through it to dry out and have a nasty cleaner to hold, especially if on the move. After that, I want a bent pipe or a clencher. I have a nice bent Dr. Grabow that I use a balsa filter in as it gives better airflow. I cut the corners a bit for more airflow. I also use a full bend Vauen 9mm. Ones I don’t need to worry about. I use those o-ring keychain pill bottles to hold some extra bowls. If it’s flake, you can get 4-6 grams into a container and it stays as well as a jar for months without drying. So it’s not so much the pipe as the entire thing for me. Lol. Sorry for the long, all over there post

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I haven’t gone hiking in a while and not since I picked up the pipe but when I get back on a trail I’ll definitely bring a cob. Cheap and easily replaceable plus they seem more forgiving of repetitive smoking which frees up more space for more tobac in the backpack lol

Reactions: RookieGuy

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Charlie brings up exactly why I'd say a cob. Not about dropping it down a ravine or class 3 rapids. It's more about being able to smoke 3 or 4 bowls in a day for the length of the trip out of the same pipe with not as much worry about Bad Things happening.

When I used to do much more backpacking, weight and space were at a premium. Every ounce has to be carried somehow. Everything has to fit.

YoungButter

Might Stick Around
Jun 19, 2021
Cobs, definitely. I also have a trio of Butz-Choquin pipes that I purchased unsmoked as estates for $40ish a piece that I bring outdoors.

It's slightly more expensive but I've considered getting a military-mount pipe to take camping so that I can break it down, clean it and put it away immediately after smoking without worrying about letting it cool down but I suppose that might just be an excuse to buy another pipe...

Reactions: RookieGuy

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
….and another vote for a MM cob!
I spend 1/2 my life outdoors walking, climbing and occasionally bivvying. Cobs weigh virtually nothing (so I’ll take a spare) and aren’t as delicate as a briar when it comes to reuse!