What's Your Favorite Pipe for Backpacking or Camping?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Good question -- and a bunch of good answers. (I imagine my cob is dead and gone but currently it may be hiding out somewhere with, I assume, my one wonderful estate pipe -- my home really isn't so big that I should be so stymied by this.)

One thing I'd toss into the mix, I've had some wonderful, long, talk-filled smokes while camping (around a fire), and I know at least once someone with me was smoking cigars and couldn't believe I still had plenty of tobacco left when he was all done. So I'd argue that a big-bowled pipe might be a good choice for those safer moments. But if you want to take one hiking, then a cob or at least a pipe you won't be broken hearted over if its breaks seems pretty sensible.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
I have a Dr Plumb pipe I take when I go hillwalking etc. If I broke it or lost it I wouldn’t be too bothered. If the wind made it smoke too hot I wouldn’t be bothered. But it still smokes well. I struggle with a corn cob both for aesthetics and for smokability.
My emphasize -- as this could open a whole separate thread on pipes to take glamping.

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
The Eltang basic pipes fit the durability and weight requirements you spoke of. Those pipes are feather light with their carbon shanks. My basic has replaced some of the briars I take to accompany my cons on hiking and camping trips.

Reactions: BROBS and edger

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
A slightly different suggestion here...
Get (or go with) an Army mount pipe. I’m a Peterson 03 and 999/80s fan. Breaks down to a compact unit, easy to clean, and won’t get all swollen if raining or damp. Durable, and not crazy expensive. I love my cobs, and they “fit” the outdoors, but I have no problem packing a nicer pipe for a nicer adventure! I hope you’re not packing the cheapest whisky either..,?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
A slightly different suggestion here...
Get (or go with) an Army mount pipe. I’m a Peterson 03 and 999/80s fan. Breaks down to a compact unit, easy to clean, and won’t get all swollen if raining or damp. Durable, and not crazy expensive. I love my cobs, and they “fit” the outdoors, but I have no problem packing a nicer pipe for a nicer adventure! I hope you’re not packing the cheapest whisky either..,?
I love my Irish Made Army's! Great suggestion. He can dig some trenches to get the full effect.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
Love taking my cob camping, as well as this Stanwell Golden Danish. Both have lucite and acrylic stems, so if I get drunk and leave the pipes out, the stems won’t oxidize. The Golden Danish has a fumed top, so even if it gets charred, you really don’t notice. They work equally well for hiking, as I like to have a pipe that will fit a wind cap when I am walking in the woods…

Of course, back in the day I remember bringing an Ardor Giant and Radice GGG camping. My thought process was that once I sat down on that log and lit up, I didn’t want to have to get up for awhile lol. Had a magical smoke one night camping, with some MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian in the Ardor, along with a bottle of JW Lee Harvest Ale aged in port barrels. One of the best tobacco/alcohol pairings I’ve ever experienced, but I digress! Stick with the simple cobs and/or the work pipes as I call em (the ones you don’t mind getting a little beat up)!
E5DE1912-3243-4DDD-B680-D4698ABAEC7B.jpeg
4F8D3380-257A-421B-AEAF-A254EC89477C.jpeg

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
If camping I would just take any briar pipe I feel like, if backpacking I'd rather bribf a cigar in a tube for the convenience and light weight.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
I like my Peterson Irish Made Army as well when camping. Of course some carefulness is needed not to do any damage to it, accidentally. For more casual state of mind, I'd suggest MM Morgan natural. Of course, that's just my pick of MMs, so Ii'd as well say what ever of those you consider most pleasant and suitable for you. Morgan, however, is easy, good and compact smoker.

Reactions: tobefrank

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Much as I love cobs, I believe I would prefer a Peterson 314 Standard, mentioned above. More pocketable when broken down, and being outdoors, you can pull the stem and fling the reeking juices that build up in the reservoir. And in the unlikely event that you lose it, what is it? A hundred dollar pipe, at most?

And speaking of reeking juices, chaw comes to mind, even if not a habitual user. And bourbon. I like to take occasional small sips of bourbon when hiking. Clears the head. (TMI? Hey, you axed.)

mail pouch.jpg

Reactions: JOHN72 and dcon

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Any pipe that I wouldn't miss if something bad happened to it while outdoors. I usually take a cob.

Reactions: dcon