PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My ex missus's great uncle was the famous studio potter Michael Cardew. His son Seth Cardew carried on the family tradition as did his son Ara Cardew (who now resides in the US).

Naturally her house was full of Cardew pots, jugs, plates, platters, mugs, you name it, if it could be made on clay she had it.

The family pottery started at Winchcombe back in the 1920's then Michael bought the Wenford Bridge pottery near Bodmin, here in Cornwall. It was here that both Seth & Ara also learned their trade (as well as spells in Japan & Africa).

So naturally my favourite coffee mugs are made by Ara Cardew with his distinctive dragonfly motif with a celadon glaze.

mug 1.jpg

mug 3.jpg

Ara's personal mark of an A inside a C plus a mark for Wenford Bridge.

mug 7.jpg

Regards,

Jay.

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
My wife is Japanese, born and raised on the northern island of Hokkaido. The first year we went to my family's place for Christmas, she absolutely fell in love with Stew Leonards- said it was totally American and yet still reminded her of home. I hunted down this mug on eBay, but it ended up being too big and too heavy for her and so it became my mug by default. Still one of my favorites to this day.

Screen Shot 2022-08-29 at 7.11.15 PM.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My core group of favorites. The Capitals and Ravens mugs only get used in season, and if they won their last game.
I waited 38 years for the Caps Stanley cup mug, so that's my favorite.
These don't get put in the dishwasher and I'm careful enough with them that my son-in-law takes great delight in using one every time he's here and pointing it out to me. Asshole. (he knows it gets a rise out of me)

1668344668834.png