PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Then I'm in the same position as you. I it use to test, so I guess that makes me disrespect it in some regards since I don't like it enough to smoke it on a regular basis?

Feb 26, 2010
Cobs are awesome. I use them when I go fishing or need to abuse a pipe for a couple days when I am on the road.
One of my friends actually smoked the cob until all the tar and juices were coming through the bottom. He was smoking it all day on days off and then once in the morning and twice at night on work days. The thing is uglier than homemade sin now, but it still smokes amazingly.
There is a good vibe and a definite flavor of a cob, and I cannot see how somebody couldn't appreciate it. Its like Carter Hall. No matter what good tobacco you smoke, you can't ever hate Carter Hall. (Or Prince Albert, if thats your thing.)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Kyle, you expressed that very well. Maybe there's a part of me that's jealous of your appreciation for the cob, but I just don't get it.

Oh, I suppose I could smoke a cob if that's all there was, but that ain't all there is.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, Cobs do seem to thrive on neglect. It's the one type of

Pipe that I've never had a gurgle from.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Ummm after careful consideration and thought cobs suck . I like them to test new blends in , is the battle cry . Why in case the tobacco sucks you can throw them both away . They thrive on neglect ,then dont smoke them they will get even better . I just don't get it .

puffingstuff

Lurker
Jul 6, 2010
I may have many high grades, and some pipes I like better than others, but sometimes I still enjoy smoking a Corn Cob pipe. In a way, I've always thought inside the box on CCs. I read where one had smoked Escudo in his, and liked it. I've always smoked Carter Hall, or Sir Walter Raleigh in a CC. It's very nice, but now I'll have to try some full virginy in one. I have heard that heavy Perique Blends are amazing in a corn cob...hmmm.

gandalfpc

Lurker
Jul 9, 2010
I'm with puffingstuff - I have a bunch of briars and meers, but that hardly seemed like a good reason not to own cobs - only MM's - no reason to skimp on such an item.
comes in handy for tasting a new blend (especially ones with high ghosting potential) a carefree smoke, or letting a new smoker have a bowl or two without risking your briars :)
that having been said I much prefer briars, often reach for the meers, and seldom use the cobs - important in the arsenal though (and cheap as dirt)

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
http://artofmanliness.com/2010/08/09/how-to-make-a-corn-cob-pipe/ Check this out!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I have three MM corn cobs and I do enjoy smoking from them, but if I have a choice I will choose a briar. I do like to test new tobaccos in my eaton cobs (I think they are one of MM's cheapest pipes). I kind want to make my own corn cob after reading the link from brazz! Thanks for the link!

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Walker Briar Works offers a line of vulcanite and lucite stems specifically designed for MM cobs. They're not cheap, but the quality is good. They also have a vulcanite Deoxidizer that works pretty well without abrading the stem.
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/_forever__stems.html

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
can't for the life of me understand why i spent 52 years with briars, thus neglecting cobs--
the next 52 will highlight MMs--

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I did a trade with a friend of mine and acquired a MM Churchwarden.

It has a good vulcanite stem.

I have to admit that it is far superior to my regular MM.

The draft hole is of greater quality, as far as the the stem inserted in the bowl than my old MM. It has proven to be of good quality.

I have no complaints and I will place it in the rotation with my other wardens, I think it will last just as long, with a little care.

bjeorn

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2010
just ordered a MM freehand black for fishing, cant beat it really, i dont wanna lose my briars in the lake plus the thought of getting excess bait and fish snot on my fancy girls makes me cringe lol

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
I am a UCL -- Unabashed Cob Lover.

But you might have have guessed that from my screen name, right?

I fear I might even be evolving into a Cob Snob. Bye, bye briar.

As I write this, I'm enjoying some quality time with my dear friend, the Prince, and a Missoouri Meerschaum Diplomat bent.

This was not love at first sight.

In a former life, about 30 years ago, I was dedicated to briars (Savinelli and Peterson)and knew little about cobs, only that some hillbillies and farmers smoked them. And that was far below my level of sophistication.

Obviously, I am older now and perhaps wiser, but I understand that might be a matter of interpretation.

My attitudes and tastes have changed in the last few decades.

Now, I can't imagine smoking anything other than a MM cob.

After all, they are relatively inexpensive, easier to break-in than briars and deliver an excellent smoke -- cool and dry.

And, surprise, I find them quite attractive. Yes, attractive. Simple and bucolic in design, they are a minimalist's idea of practical art.

In addition, the Missouri Meerschaum Co., is only about 45-50 miles from my home.

Thus, I take a small amount of pride and satisfaction in knowing that my smoking instrument is locally made by an American company with a rich history. This might not be important to others, but it is to me.

In my humble opinion, an MM cob is a genuine American treasure.

I also understand that my perspective is likely a minority opinion. And there's a certain satisfaction and comfort in that.

Now, if you'll excuse me I've got my eye on that handsome MM Patriot and I want to place my order.

No, a cob isn't for everyone.

But it is for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.