PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cornguy.... very well stated.

I still have my first MM cob. I've had it for many years.

I used to hate the way it made my baccy taste, I have since acquired a new appreciation for it over the past year or so. I even went so far as to make a trade for a MM Churchwarden. I smoke it nearly every day.
Just in case I didn't extend my welcome to Pipesmagazine.com.... We're glad to have you in the fraternity.

Don't forget to post some pictures of those highest of the low end collection.

Pipes are special, be they a 4 buck cob or a 1500 dollar Cavicchi.

We love'm all the same.

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Thank you, sir.

Yes, I will post some pix.

There's more than a kernel of truth in what you. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Hahaha,....corn...kernel of truth.....cob. I love it!
Personally, I love smoking a pipe that I can throw at a tree if I hit my thumb with a hammer.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Excellent post, cornguy. I've just picked my first MM up, and have enjoyed it thoroughly. I will be adding many more to my collection, I can already tell.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
cornguy that was brilliant mate.
I personally don't have any cobs because I find them to be ugly and because I prefer everything I own that means diddly to me to be something that would, or could, last as long as I do and be passed on to a son if I ever have one. This is why my lighters are zippos, this is why my books are well-taken care of, why I keep my textbooks from university courses despite the extreme expense vs. just renting them, or at least selling them back, and there are a few more things I could on with here, though that covers most of it. But where that comes in here is that my pipes are all briar except on meerschaum I'll finally be getting in the post soon, and that one I am going to baby the hell out of to make sure it lasts -- all for the same reason.
On the opposition of that though, cob lovers here have said it well enough that now I am intrigued -- so I'll likely order a couple in the next week or two and see if I can get something I like out of them. I'll probably try 'pre-caking' it with pipe mud after first burning out the taste of the cob though. That should make it last a bit longer.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Yoru,

Don't worry about the durability of MM cobs.

My first is at least twenty years old. So, I haven't felt the need to buy another.

With a little care, they can and will last a life time.

I did however trade for a MM Cob Churchwarden that I love.

I'm with you on the book thing.

I still have all of my texts as well and many of my favorite papers from my post secondary matriculation.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
I only have a few of my essays so far -- four to be exact, but I suppose at this rate I'll put back about 15-20 total.
Of course it'll be 20 years before I can really be sure whether or not I am proud of those papers, at about 7 months since the most recent was written I can say with some certainty I will be proud I wrote them at 20 when I'm 40, but probably have already re-written by then as well.
But yeah yer earlier comment about having yours for 20 years was one of the things I was actually speaking of talking me into giving it a shot.
Though I may just make my own, cob isn't that hard and could be shaped with a pocket knife and a hot wire without too much difficulty. Course I'd have to go buy a piece of corn. . .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Yoru,
I suggest that you go to the MM website and take a look at the procedure.

There is more to it than you might imagine... e.g. plaster of paris

Some guys here on the site do and have made their own.

As for the "good looks" factor how about this?
MacArthur-1944.jpg

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Very nice pic mate.
I'll have a look at MM later today (making turnip and stew tomato ...stew... right now) at that.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Ahh, after a divorce or two a guy learns he actually never did live with or own anything he couldn't live without.
:mrgreen:
Come to think of it,....it's a damn shame I didn't own a corncob house and a couple of corncob cars back then!

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
Lawrence, that is my idea of classic American design. Beautiful is an adequate adjective in this case. Thank you for the inspiration.

I think the General migh be smoking an MM General.

Cool shades, cool pipe.

A historic moment indeed.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Ahh, after a divorce or two a guy learns he actually never did live with or own anything he couldn't live without.
Come to think of it,....it's a damn shame I didn't own a corncob house and a couple of corncob cars back then!
:laughat: LMAO Tommy!
now back to work on my corncob girlfriend.... 8O :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.