PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Excellent post Fred.

I am amazed that there is that much to the lowly cob.
Like I have said before I have had "one" for some 20 years, and have smoked it only a half dozen times. While not "my thing" I have no bias against them. Save that it might just simply be too light. You know, not enough substantiality to be comfortable to me.
Great post non-the-less.

Thanks

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, the Cob is really a surprising Pipe for many. These Pipes will even

draw compliments, when smoked in public, from some that say it reminds them

of a relative or form others that just haven't seen a Pipe being smoked much.

For me, the Burley blends of straightforward character perform best in a Cob,

while more complex blends with Virginia, Latakia or Oriental leaf perform better

in these Meerschaums. Cobs can add another dimension to your smoking pleasures

and can be used to test out new-to-me blends, if I think that they might ghost

one of my Meerschaums. The Cob quickly rids itself of ghosting.

daveleitz

Lurker
Jun 21, 2010
Thanks for that post, Fred. Just this morning I smoked some Boswells Berry Cobbler in my MM cob.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Fred,

I think you're just an anti-briar-ite -- to borrow a Seinfeldism.

Cobs suck, and I'm not gonna play some politically correct game by denying it. The king has no clothes. But as long as you enjoy them, well have at it with my blessings.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Fred,

I think you're just an anti-briar-ite -- to borrow a Seinfeldism.

Cobs suck, and I'm not gonna play some politically correct game by denying it. The king has no clothes. But as long as you enjoy them, well have at it with my blessings.

I don't denigrate other's preference for Briar. That's not my style anymore than it is my preference for smoking tobacco in Briar, or expecting others to like what I enjoy. The strength of the Pipe smoking community is in it's diversity. If you don't enjoy the pleasures of Cob smoking, then that's OK by me.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ya, you're right. I had no reason to call you an anti-briar-ite. Sorry.

But... I am an anti cob-ite. :)

I used to be called a Moron, but I'm really Presbyterian.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Ya, you're right. I had no reason to call you an anti-briar-ite. Sorry.

But... I am an anti cob-ite. :)

I used to be called a Moron, but I'm really Presbyterian.

No worries. We all promote what we prefer & I'm no different. With the way things are in the country, we need all the Pipe smokers that we can muster. It's a wide group of people that have one thing in common - Pipes and tobaccos. Pipe smoking is becoming a lost art. It is not a simple thing for a person to smoke a pipe properly. Those who choose to smoke a pipe are committed in all that they do. Finding such a person is no longer easy.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Call me snob but I will not smoke a cob , You see after buying three I have found them not my cup of tea . Ill fitted stems glued in place at the worst angles ever concieved . Plastic bits ugggggggghh . They do look good on a snowman but so does a lump of coal . Plaster of paris is best reserved for fixing holes in sheet rock and ugly art projects for county fairs . If you enjoy cobs [ well bless your soul ] I apologize in advance .

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
buncha snobs....
i made my 1st corn cob at a younge age and smoked one of my dad's winstons in it...

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have never smoked a cob but always sort of wanted to just out of curiosity. I'm not drawn the the aesthetic myself. I think they are a cool piece of history and I dig that people still manufacture and smoke them, but, as I said, I'm just not drawn to them for myself.
@Igloo: Were you meaning to start your reply in meter and rhyme? I seriously thought that you were offering a poetic version of your opinion on cobs.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
My opinion is there is nothing better to test a new tobacco in that a cob. A couple of bowls to get the cob taste covered up.

Reverting to the original question, my most abused pipe is a 5 or 6 year old cob that gets smoked at least once a day. It's dirty, it's ugly, it gets a pipe cleaner ran through it maybe once a week when the draw starts to become a little restricted, but it smokes Black XX like it was born for it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I will admit that cobs have a certain rustic charm and harken back to simpler times when resourceful folk utilized whatever Nature provided. But that's no reason to continue using them in more modern times when better alternatives are available. After all, if you can afford modern plumbing, why continue to use the outhouse -- which is where cobs see their best use.

keeper

Lurker
Jun 29, 2010
I have three MM cobs, and I mostly smoke them with new tobaccos, and when I am out and about doing something that could put a briar in jeopardy. I've only got a few briars, and most of them are right around the $100 mark, but I like the ones I have enough to want to keep them in good shape.
If I dropped and lost a pipe in the lake, mud, or snow... I'd rather it be an $8 pipe. :)

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't know of any better modern alternatives for cobs. Ya you can get a cheap estate pipe but you still got some flavor and smells of other tobaccos. To me the cheapest pipe I have found new that still smoked good was a $35 Savinelli but that still doesn't beat $8 for a taste testing cob pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.