What's the Most You Would Ever Spend on a Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I've been very happy keeping my few purchases in the $50 to $100 area. I'd spend a bit more for a special pipe but not $4000 unless I had a lot more "mad money" than I currently have.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
My most expensive is about $130. I, too, am blessed with a good job right now, but that doesn't mean I have a lot of disposable income. I've got wife, kids, mortgage, food.... you know. I have some very specific guidelines when it comes to purchasing pipes. This is a hobby that I enjoy immensely, and it is important that it stays enjoyable. That means, #1, I don't want to ever feel guilty or that I've neglected my family in some way. If I feel guilty over a purchase then the fun goes away. That means the money must be free and clear, or I must save up, put a pipe on layaway, or whatever. I don't have many pipes, but the ones I do bring me great joy, even if they're not artisan pipes. I hope to have a nice collection I can pass on to someone one day.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have read these posts with interest and I am Still not sure of the reasoning!
To spend thousands of dollars on a pipe just because you like its looks?
What am I missing???? I would rather have a Purdy shotgun!
OR am I just slow? (probably)
Not knocking others but only misunderstanding!

like said smoke em if ya got em!

hoo

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
The most I ever offered for a pipe was a Rad Davis Smooth rhodesian at the Chicago show this year . . . $600. . . needless to say, Charlie Stewart did not sell it to me :( I will never make an offer that high on another pipe.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
In my current financial status. I'd be comfortable up to $350 for a new pipe or an estate. Although nice pipes could be cheaper.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have no idea, but I am fortunate financially, and retired. I've been creeping up in what I have been paying for pipes, and aesthetics are very important to me. Some of the good looking pipes I bought a year ago now look pretty ordinary, so I guess I am in an upgrade mode.
The most I have spent in a single purchase was $550, but that was for a dozen estate Comoys all nicely restored. Thank you, West Coast Pipe Show, and Steve McNeill, both show organizer and restoration expert from whom I purchased said set and the rack they were displayed on.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, I wouldn't waste time trying to "justify" spending $4000 on a pipe. There's no point. The pipe is either worth that much to me or it isn't.

People enjoy the Hobby for any mix of reasons. On one end are people who just want to enjoy an occasional smoke who view pipes as tools for that purpose. Cobs certainly deliver in that regard, and the real expense is in tobacco.
At the other end are those who are fascinated with pipes as expressions of functional art, those who love the beauty of the marriage of shape to grain, the fine comfort of a well executed bit, as well as those who love the historical aspects of pipes from both a cultural and aesthetic perspective. At this extreme are the collectors of super high grades who don't actually smoke, ever.
Most of us fall somewhere between these extremes. I love the history and lore of pipes and appreciate beauty of design and flawless craftsmanship. But I don't have a need to own such rare and costly pieces. I also love a good smoke and can have that without spending a lot of money. I do own a few expensive pipes, but most are in the $50 to $300 range. The higher end pipes range from $400 to $800. My most expensive buy, which easily dwarfs any other purchase, was for a cased set of antique pipes that are unsmoked and will never be smoked by me. I simply enjoy having a pristine piece of piping history.
Whatever the price of a particular pipe, I bought it because it was worth the money to me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As to stratospheric prices on pipes, to some it's similar to collecting art- and some pipes are indeed art. Would I spend $50,000,000 on a Modigliani? No, and I don't happen to have that level of scratch! Could I see spending several thousand on a pipe that had historic value and was a great looker and smoker? Not this year, but I say, "Never say never". (@clickklick- you're too damn young to say "never"!) :)
EDIT: Composed before reading Sable's post. Couldn't agree more, though I am not even on the JV squad of pipe collectors; Jesse is a Varsity starter.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
When I first got into piping, I put my cap at $50. Since then I've moved the cap to $100... but lately pipes in the $150 range have started to catch my eye and seem reasonable. What's happening to me?!

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
My most expensive pipe in my collection, is a Rainer Barbi I gave around $650 for, which considering the grain and collectability, I considered a steal.
I would consider spending several thousand on a pipe by a particular carver. Sixten Ivarsson, Bo Nordh, and Jorn Micke are three names that come to mind.
I mean, if I could own a Sixten, I would probably go buy a brand new pillow to lay her on, so she could sleep next to me at night. Then I would just have to figure out how to get some sleep, fearing that I might roll over in the middle of the night, and end up breaking her shank.
I would probably just end up buying an extra bed just for her, and having my bedroom look like Lucy and Ricky's. No doubt, it would be worth the extra effort, considering the big picture.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
To spend thousands of dollars on a pipe just because you like its looks?
For me, as weird as it may be, some pipes speak to me. I have to admit, however, that I am usually very angry when I see the f*c%ing prices of those. I have one two pipes that have cost me more than $200 (a Becker and a Radice), and one that should have cost more than $200 (but Wayne Teipen smoked before he sold it to me). I got lucky with those.
If I had the means, I would still be just as upset by the cost, but I would spend the cash anyway. (Although, the pipes that speak to me are in the $1k-$2k range, not $4k.)
I would also get the coolest, overpriced chopper that I could have built.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
As a sat here and thought about it, I realized that (as there always is) an exception. A bit back, I came across a 1981 Peterson (numbered) Mark Twain that was unsmoked. The price of the pipe pushed over the $1,000 mark, and if I'd had the funds available, I would have bought it, no questions.
I think we all have that elusive unicorn that we'd ride if we had the means and given the chance. I got to briefly see the backside of mine, as it ran off, laughing, into the night.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't spend high end, but I certainly enjoy the examples of Forums members who buy some beautiful high-end pipes. I don't have to own them to appreciate them, and take some guidance on how a pipe should look. When I was young, and it was more customary to wear jackets and ties and suits to work, I read a piece that said, when you go to buy a suit on a budget, start out by trying on one or two at the top price range, so you'll know how it is supposed to look. It struck me as good advice.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I guess I am lucky. I like smooth Zulus and I can get a "custom" Zulu for $250, or less. For me, a $4,000 pipe makes no sense, but I get it. I like that there are $4,000 pipes out there and people who can afford them. I could afford a couple/few, but have no desire for it. I would not even spend $4,000 on a gun, and I really like guns. Sure it would be nice to have a $5,000 Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade 10mm 1911, but I would be just as happy with a $900 Springfield 1911. I like that the Tactical Supergrade exists and that people are buying them.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sable has it pretty well pegged. +1
hoo: Until you have the moneys and inclination to buy such a pipe, I doubt you will ever understand the motivation. I suppose your and others curiosity in understandable. Suffice it to say, "Because I can and it satisfies me."
As my financial situation changed over the years so did my tastes and, more importantly, so did my requirements for quality. I was frugal in my early years, tending to my responsibilities and working towards growing my wealth for my later years. My immediate family is well looked after. My death will mean a financial windfall for them.
As to $4000.00 for a pipe? I doubt it would happen. Such a pipe would have to have a certain provenance accompanied with what I wrote above. I don't know that such a pipe exists but, I'll be keeping an eye out for it. And, I'd buy it to smoke, not as an object d'arte. I'm not a collector of pipes. I buy them to smoke, certainly not as an investment, and I can treat myself to something special should I wish.

My best smokers were all under $100. However, my most beautiful pipes were well above and beyond that. Price doesn't mean anything to me once flame touches leaf.

I understand these posts. You can't fathom something, so "take it to the forum." But, in essence if all of the posts that think it's nuts to spend that kind of money, it's almost like slut-shaming or wealth-shaming. The question is set up to make one reluctant to post, "yes, I don't think $4 grand is too much for a pipe at all." Being in the business of selling rocks for that kind of money, I think it's ludicrous to think that someone wouldn't spend that kind of money on a pipe. Sure, buy a rock for $4000 and give it to your girl will get you an awesome evening, maybe, but a pipe worth that much promises a lifetime of enjoyment, even when your covered in wrinkles and your hair has all washed out. So, not nuts at all. IMO.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've found that once you cross a price threshold that you formerly were convinced would never happen, it becomes easier to cross the next threshold, and then the next. When I bought my first pipe, a Grabow Duke, it was twenty-four years ago, and thought that spending more than twenty dollars for a pipe was insane.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"wealth-shaming"
I don't see that in this thread. I like that really cool things exist and that there are people buying really cool things. Most here would buy a $4,000 pipe if it "spoke" to them. I'm more akin to Sam Walton (except the uber-wealth part), a billionaire driving an old pick-up truck and parking in the back of the lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.