PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I have no rotation yet. I’m still new. I’m in accumulation mode so am trying many different things. I’m trying to stick to bulk for the most and get good stuff and smoke a bit now and save the rest for later.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Floral essence, baby!

I always have one of St Bruno’s or Bob’s Chocolate Flake or one of a few other Lakeland blends within easy reach.

Of course, I’m new smoking these blends...I’m like an ex-smoker eager to extol the virtues of my newfound passion.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
H&H Viprati & Larry's Blend

Savinelli Doblone D'oro

PS Luxury Navy Flake

Sutliff Aromatic English & Medium English

Rattray’s Exotic Orange

Presbyterian

Virginia Gold Vanilla

C&D Billy Budd

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Oh, well, that's a great question. As I'm a very new piper (2.5 weeks, or thereabouts), I'm still trying to figure out what I like. I KNOW that I like English blends, VaPers, VaBurs, you name it. Very fond of Black Frigate. I've tried one aromatic (Lane 1Q), and have another ready to try (kindly reccomended by @ChasingEmbers): Belmont Station. I do enjoy comparing the various flavors of newly acquired blends, and so I buy some, try it, compare to others.
Currently, I have picked:
Black Frigate

HH Old Dark Fired

Escudo Deluxe Navy Rolls and/or Dunhill Navy Rolls

SPC Mississippi River

SPC Plum Pudding/Plum Pudding SR

Dunhill NightCap

G.L. Pease Gaslight and Quiet Nights
There are others, and I'm trying a lot of different blends, but that's it so far.
CW

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Dunhill The Aperitif

MacBarren Amphora full aroma

Ashton Gold Rush

Peterson's Irish Oak

Vauen The Shire

McCleland No 22 Virginia

McCleland Frog Morton the Original (on the log)

Samuel Gawith Brown no. 4 (which I usually mix with a light english, as I can't smoke it on it's own)
I found myself in this position because I was curios of trying different stuff, and I didn't mind what I opened and how long it would take to finish smoking it. I am fixing to reduce the number of blend in my rotation ... optimal for me would be around 4-5. I usually keep an aromatic open, and a tin lasts me 6-10 months, and as fall will come will keep 2 english blends, a burley and a virginia. I am saying that I will do this ... I probably won't be able to keep my word on the matter though :puffy:

glaswegian

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
I try to be consequent in my rotation and just have 5 blends I smoke from. After a while I dump one or two

and exchange them. My rhythm is once a week I throw one out and put a new tobacco in. The aromatics are changed more often´than the naturall tobaccos. Actually my used blends are:
HU Fayyum Cake

MM 965

PS Luxury Bulls Eye

PH Dark Strong Kentucky

HU Kratermischung Rebuild of WO Larsen 32

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have way too many open jars. I try to keep a couple going per week only. Right now I’m enjoying Peterson old Dublin and lane ready rubbed.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I’ve been exploring a few new to me options recently as most of my regular stuff has been getting tough to lay hands on. Last week or so, I had an all macbarans order come in and am working my way through HH pure va, burley flake and bold Kentucky. Pleasantly surprised by all of it and recommend them highly.
Now, I just to track down an easy to find replacement for SJF...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I keep several of the D&R blends in rotation and augment with other stuff.

I have access to at least 9 of the D&R blends in bulk, along with a few other bulks like PS LTF, Russ's TastyKake, several codger blends, and blending tobaccos I sometimes use to modify stuff, and of course I have other tobacco here, just not in regular rotation.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have over 70 blends in my closet. No set rotation anymore, I just grab whatever suits my mood at the moment.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Right now
Petersons perfect plug

Petersons university flake

McConnell's London (shag)

Savinelli doblone doro
Waiting on the mail for the new MacBaren burley flake, will probably pop one when it arrives

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
I also pick whatever I'm in the mood for. I honestly can't pick a smoke because it's "Full Virginia Flake day" or "Red Cake day". If I'm not in the mood for Red Cake, I'm not going to smoke it. Life is too short.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
As a general rule, I have between 20 and 24 blends open at one time. Some of them are aged, some are not. I don't deliberately age lat blends,for example, and I am frequently trying new things.
The blends that I count as staples - that are always open - are the following, Some of these are available as bulks, some are not. All are in production.

H&H White Knight

PS Proper English

Peterson Old Dublin

Lane Ready Rubbed

PS Natural Dutch Cavendish

Sutliff Virginia Slices

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
In my first year of smoking pipes so far, I have opened everything I could get my hands on. I have too many open tins and jars ATM, and I am slowly smoking my way through them. I want to narrow it down to having 3-4 open tins at a time of stuff that can work as a daily smoke. So far those blends are:

SG FVF

Capstan Blue Flake

Marlin Flake

Hal o' the Wynd

St Bruno Flake

PPP

Scottish Cake

And probably more that I can't think of right now.

Additionally I always keep some high octane blends for those moments at night with a nice beverage. They are:

SG 1792 Flake

SG Lakeland Dark

Irish Flake

Royal Yacht

ODF

I also want to have 1 tin of something new open at a time. That is the plan :puffpipe:

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Mine changes constantly. Sadly, HH Vintage Syrian is the corner stone though, I have my daily smokes, and I usually have a "fun" tin, something rare or new that I take my time with.
Current rotation:
HH Vintage Syrian

Black Frigate

Frog Morton

Iwan Riews Balkan Supreme

Comoys Cask #9

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

Mississippi Mud
Special: Balkan Sobranie (from 1997) and Frog Morton (2000)

Mar 29, 2016
Orlik Golden Sliced, Sutliff Virginia Slices #507-C, STG Escudo Navy De Luxe, no Latakia mixtures during summer or a very occasional one.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Okay, so I'm picking up on a lot of these, making myself a nice little wish list over at SP's. Some of these are familiar and I have a few, others not so much. You guys have really given me a lot to pick through, but it certainly narrows it down from the enormous selection that is online. It can be quite overwhelming when you're just starting out. I'll just have to start slow and build myself up. So many tobacco, so few dollars to throw at them all. Thanks guys for an unbelievable amount of help in this area. I've got a lot of trying to do, and can't wait to get into a lot of these!

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I fall under the category of buy everything in sight and open to see what I like. I pretty much smoked a bowl or two of each and have set aside. Right now I am working through Doblone d'Oro, Solani 633 (smoking now), Wessex Campaign, Haddos, FVF, Dunhill Navy Rolls (just recently opened and have smoked once but was very impressed), and the English which I don't touch often but force myself too is PS Proper English, PS English Luxury, and FMC. Others I have enjoyed and smoked through were Escudo, Opening Night, and Union Square. Really a lot of good tobacco out there, and I bought a lot really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.