PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
For all that we try lots of tins and enjoy variety, I'd venture to guess that most of us have one "big jar" on our tobacco shelf. That's the one that is always and without fail full of that certain mixture that to which we return again and again.
It's the default tobacco. The go-to blend. Old reliable. Our particular friend. Pole star of the tobacco firmament.
For me, it's FMOTT.
I smoke a pipe 5 or 6 nights a week, plus usually a couple times a day on Saturday and Sunday -- call it an average of 10 bowls a week. (Not a hug number, I know.) Even though I hardly ever smoke an aromatic, I still cover a good variety, with probably about a dozen to 15 tins in very loose rotation. (Again, not so many.) But out of those 10 or so bowls a week, you can be sure that 4-6 of the them will come from the big jar on the top shelf, full of FMOTT. And there is always another tin on deck, and a third one in the hole, to make sure the big jar never empties.
So. . . Got that jar? What's in yours?

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Mine is a straight burley! But since I've tried PS luxury bullseye flake the burley will be accompanied by another big jar!

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
I have two, HH Mature Viginia in the collectors jar, and PS Golden Dansk...

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I have three. They are the three I created with Craig Tarler's help. So, I have three one-pound tins of them in use at all times and smoke all three every day in dedicated pipes. But, it always seems that the pound tin of Captain Bob's Blend vanishes at a slightly higher rate than the other two. I'd have to say that my go-to blend is CBB. The other two are tied for second place. I do need all three to survive!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
There are a couple I want to get but right now I'm trying all kinds of new stuff. The two I will be getting for sure though is penzance and blue note both of which have been mentioned already.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I think I got more big jars than little ones now. There's 1Q, Black House, Caramel Apple Pie, about 2 jars of Miskatonic rejects, HH Mature VA, Louisiana Red made the cut and Nat Sherman Riverside Whiskey.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Thanks to the heads-up by baronsamedi, Ive got a whole bunch of 8 oz. tins of H&H but the really big glass jars are McClellands 5110 Dark English, SG 1792 bulk Flake and a fair sized jar of Halflings Leaf. Too much good tobacco to quit smoking now!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
3 jars for 3 different moods :
- PS Luxury Navy Flake
- PS B&B
- 4Noggins' El Rincon de la Pipa ( in a big bail top jar with a tobacco plant on the ceramic leaf )

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Lots of jars , but the big one is Rattrays Three Noggins . There are so many blends I find it hard to limit myself to just one . So I sample all kinds .

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have several big jars, but my fall backs are Edgeworth Ready Rub, Goedewaagen, and Jewel's Bogafalaya Blend.

I also have a jar of Sterling Old Dominion, that I smoke every so often. And an ounce or two of "Nothing Quite Like That First Pipe of the Day" from House of Calabash, in a really small jar.

Jul 15, 2011
Penzance, did you expect anything else from me?
I have a theory that Hobie has traces of blood in his Latakia stream :mrgreen:
In response to the OP, I have to say that my go to would be either Carter Hall or Butternut Burley. Both are blends that I can smoke without thinking about, just complex enough in taste without being overwhelming, but tasty enough to merit being a great smoke. If I had to pick one over the other, I think I would have to pick Butternut Burley.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
The big jar has MacBaren's Vintage Syrian, the next biggest jar has SG's Celtic Talisman. Then there are all those little jars with a variety of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.