What's America's Most Popular US Made Straight Va Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Jay, I suspect you may be underestimating the amount of time some of these tobaccos need to "breathe". Dark Star, for example, tends to improve after about 3 weeks of sitting in a jar. Additionally, you may want to use the same pipe for the mcclellands blends as it will help to bring out the character of the stoved leaf present in both ds and bwf.
I like ds for it's curious cumin and cinnamon notes. As someone mentioned I'm not a fan of the cotton tongue feeling I sometimes experience from mcc.
The simplest way to prepare this blend is to put some on a coffee filter, pop it in the. Microwave for 10 seconds, then let it rest on a cooling rack for a few minutes. It only takes a few minutes to go from tin to pipe this way and the trade off in taste is minimal.
As to the broader question of America's Top Gun, I haven't a clue.
Re: 2035, it's simply ds minus a few years of aging. Plenty of folks prefer it as it's a bit "peppier"

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, I suspect you may be underestimating the amount of time some of these tobaccos need to "breathe"."
Hi Bigpond, thanks but I've already taken that on board. I have been airing these blends daily simply by removing their lids for half an hour or so and can already notice a huge difference. The ketchup aroma has almost gone leaving only delicious tobacco smells :puffy:
Am just now smoking another bowl of Blackwoods which at the moment I feel beats Dark Star in the flavour department.
Regards,
Jay.

Dark Star is often referred to as the puzzle tobacco. It comes as these little rubbery weird flakes that don't seem to dry well, rub out, or even burn, ha ha. So, you have to... figure it out.
I like it though, but I can also easily see where someone else might not. Last thing I want is for other people to actually like it. More for me. Actually, I prefer to just keep emphasizing the weirdness of the blend, so other pipe guys will avoid it altogether. Little rubbery bark-like flakes that will never-ever burn. There are so many easier to figure out blends out there. Dark Star is not for the fold and stuff type of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.