What's America's Most Popular US Made Straight Va Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Michael, they sell it on Amazon. I have a pound of it down in the basement. It's sitting next to the hydraulic press. And the 5 pounds of whole leaf Kentucky Dark Fired. Some day, I will make whole leaf plugs.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
woodsroad

I think the fact that they are not made of whole leaf is a major contributor as well.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Perhaps you mean to say that none of which look like the flakes made by STG, Mac Baren, etc. that have glue in them."
Dan, that is very interesting to read and something I had never considered before. But it leaves me a little puzzled as FVF bought in 50g tins are flakes of uniform size, shape and consistency. However FVF bought in bulk 250g boxes, the flakes are much more friable and loose in nature. That would suggest that gum Arabic is used only for that which is destined to be tinned which I find difficult to get my head around.
Can you explain further?
Regards,
Jay.

Oct 7, 2016
@kanse, use of whole leaf is actually rare. McClelland s is set up to handle it, but their web page acknowledge s that they also use strip. Most countries, other than the US, control the export of tobacco and insist that it be processed domestically, which means raw leaf is never exported. Which means strip that is made to cigarette monopoly specs.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Hey Jay have you tried McCranies Red Flake??
I've got a tin of their 1996 waiting to be opened as well as their 1983 ribbon.
As of yet I have not smoked any of the McCranies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Making iron gall ink is simple enough. I spend so much time in the field that finding oak galls (any good source of concentrated tannins will work to varying degrees) is easy enough, steeping crushed galls (or whatever) and adding some gum Arabic and ferrous sulphate.. The pH is the trick... And I am still working on making a cool green iron gall. I have yet to make one safe for fountain pens but I use it with a dip pen frequently.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I think the fact that they are not made of whole leaf is a major contributor as well.

If the War Hearse™ plugs were made from whole leaf, or threshed leaf, they would have been just as pliable and friable. It would have broken up just the same, but in bigger pieces.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I used to love McClelland flakes but then the tongue bite ce and never went away. I don't cellar any GLP because it's made with C&D tobacco and I refuse to purchase any of their tobaccos for personal reasons. I did like Union Square very much having said that. I would recommend you try the Sutliff/Altadis 507C Virginia slices as it is highly regarded and good value as well and possibly US made?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Defining "prime" is hard. It has been written by wiser men than me that as little as a few months creates a change. 2-5 years a large change. After that, a slow change for up to 30 years for a good Va.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread at the present moment but I would just like to thank you all for a fascinating read so far. I don't post very often but I'm always reading along and enjoying every bit of it. Fascinating stuff from a group of fascinating people!
Excuse the interruption!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Gum Arabic is an adhesive/binder. It glues the layers of tobacco leaf together to form a solid block that can then be sliced thin without falling apart.

Read through the link I provided. There are some eye openers there.
Pipe Tobacco Additives for STG
Pipe Tobacco Additives for Kohlhase & Kopp
And skip to the last page here for a list of additives in Presbyterian Mixture (which evidently is made by Planta).
Benzoic acid? Really? Woods what is the reason of that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.