PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I don't prefer straight stems (e.g. billards) except on nosewarmers. Each of my pipes have to have a little character - that's what attracts me - I don't like pipes that look as if they were stamped from a mold.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
+1 Lawrence. I too have a wide variety of shapes and sizes in my collection. If I see a pipe and something about it speaks to me I'm buying it.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I only like traditional style pipes...favourites are apple, billiard, bulldog in that order and all with 1/4 bent stems. The only thing I really don't like and will never buy is these new weird shaped pipes that all the new pipe makers are putting out. I like to look at them but not at all interested in owning one.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There are a few pipes that would never make it into my collection. Oom Paul, churchwarden, calabash, hawkbill, horn and axes are not my cup of tea. Some free hands are quite nice. I have a couple, one is a Former and one a Winslow C grade. They are not crazy looking and they are a couple of my best smokers.
I have seen many weird looking free hands from some of the higher end danish carvers and while I wouldn't own them, they are some very pretty works of art.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Can't say I'm a fan of hawkbills either. I used to think Oom Pauls looked funny until I actually smoked one, now I love them.
Not real big on freehands either. I have one, a Lee Von Erck that is great but most of the time they are just flat out ugly to me. I really hate some of those big Autographs that Savinelli makes that look like an uncarved block of briar with a stem poking out.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
vest pocket, bulldogs, pot (although they are a great smoke), poker. Lately I have realized some shapes I don't smoke, so out comes the dremel and I redo them, and they turn into some of my faves. I call em my mongrels or bastards. Fave right now is rounded cutty. :puffy: I also detest whimsical pipes ( ski boots, pistols ladies legs, etc.)

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Billiard, just dislike the same shape as everyone else, I hate conformity in all aspects of life. Don't want to smoke the same pipe as all the other Sheeple. :laughat:

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I tend to look at each pipe i see as an individual. I have seen lots of pipes i don't like in particular shapes but sometimes i see one that just looks great to me. Subtle differences and colour of stem etc can change things for me.
Although i do favor bent pipes over straight.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Don't shoot but I really don't like the shape of a bulldog. They are probably a great smoke because a lot of people love them. I just can't get myself past the look to add one to the collection. At least not at this time anyway.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Seeing this post for the first time, thought I'd add mine to the mix!
First and foremost:
1. Freehands. I totally respect those who like 'em, but I am more of a traditionalist I guess
2. Apples. Eh, something about them.
3. Calabash - nothing against them, I just can't see myself using one (at least not in public).
--Bulldogs-- damn, but I got a love/hate relationship with that shape! One day I will own one again.
@hobie1dog - I know you meant no harm, but I gots disagree with you about billiards! :puffy:
The billiard is a classic.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Although I don't have any problems with any general shape, in terms of "sub" shapes I don't like paneled pipes. No reason to give; I just don't like 'em.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
The only pipe shape that I don't like is the calabash in gourd form. Reminds me of a child's record player. Looks like cheap crap. I do have a small wood one that smokes great. The oom paul isn't my favorite shape but the one I have is an amazing smoker. Also when I smoke in public I get a lot of people say cool pipe.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I can't stand straight pipes, straight fishtail anythings are the worst, especially if the stems are acrylic! My favorites are as bent as possible, we are talking calabash, Oom Paul, and any other traditional very bent shapes.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
@hobie1dog - I know you meant no harm, but I gots disagree with you about billiards! [:puffy:]
The billiard is a classic.
and that term "classic" is why I dislike them so much. It visually puts you into the same stereotype smoker that makes you look like every other pipe smoker through history. :cry:
I gotta be different :nana:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@hobie1dog
As the saying goes, whatever floats your boat... 8)
faulkner-pipe.jpg

wagnon85

Might Stick Around
Apr 25, 2010
I can't say I dislike specific shapes; I'm usually willing to give most a looksee at least. Though some of the freehands are just odd and look like they were made just to be different rather than to smoke...but if it's an expression of the carver's art and they like it, well then who am I to judge? I do find panel pipes a bit odd too, as I guess I like the roundness of a pipe.
However, when browsing pipes, two things that almost immediately garner a "NEXT" from me are the rusticated finish and yellow acrylic stems. Not sure why, and I know a lot of people like both. I think I just tend to dig the smoother finishes and I love the way a black stem blends with the rest of the pipe, especially if it has band on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.