PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Got to say, I had no idea churchwardens were so disliked! I can't wait to get one and try it.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I like classic shapes. I don't like the hawk bill or the caviler and I dislike most free hand pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I forgot to add a few pipes that I would not own. Volcano, prince, bulldog, blow fish and pokers, I also do not like big chunks of briar where they stick a stem into an unfinished hunk and have the plateau rim, those look like amateur hour. I also don't like any pipe with a plateau rim, those look like the carver was to lazy to finish the pipe.
I think that certain shapes lead to better smokes, since I smoke mostly flakes, I like a pipe with thicker walls and certain lengths and sizes, tomatoes, dublins and apples all smoke my flakes extremely well. I also really dislike nose warmers, they look silly to me, almost like a child's pipe. I would never want the bowl to be that close to my face.
It is real interesting to see everyone's likes and dislikes, thankfully we all like different shapes because pipe makers would get pretty bored carving only a few different ones. By the way anyone who does not like a classic billiard really has no taste...hobie...cough ..cough... :nana:

whimsyt

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2012
Greater Boston
I dislike straight pipes, especially lovats and canadians (not the people, the pipe!)
I don't like how Oom Pauls look, but I hear they are great smokers and keep going back and forth with getting one.
And for butt ugly, I really dislike the look of Falcons, but gosh darn dagnabit they are good smokers! But ugly as can be, to my eyes.
But my tastes and preferences are changing and growing with experience, so who knows what I'll buy next? I love the adventure and exploration!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Not a fan of the gourd calabash. Mostly because of looks, but also it irks me that people automatically associate it with Holmes when Holmes was never mentioned having one in the stories. Also not into the artwork meers. If I buy a meer it'll be a normal shape and not some sculpture of a ship from the Spanish Armada.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I don't hate any one shape, I haven't had a freehand catch my eye yet, and I think most calabashes are too showy, but I have seen a couple decent ones, most of my pipes are full bent briar as they suit my taste best.
As for my favorite shape... The hourglass!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
+1 on the hourglass, heh heh. Near 80 pipes in my collection, and almost every shape on the charts, I cannot say that there is one in particular that I don't like. I just don't care for Group 1 or smaller sizes. I do not have a hawkbill, a zulu, a horn, or a cavalier. I had a figural meer that was stolen. I don't have anything shaped like a banjo or a blowfish either, but I have 9 freehands, most purchased when they were in style.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Calabash, churchardens, Cuttys, most of the wilder freehands, cavalier (those ukraine long pipes), Horns, Tomahawks and volcano's, I don't care for the carved meerschums..a nd pipes that are just way too big...like the grizzly pipes from Boswell, who needs a pipe that takes 1/4lb to fill up??
I guess I'm more of a traditionalist...Even thought I own 2 bari freehands, there not the crazy-wild-weird looking ones that I despise...I also like to have at least a 1/8 bent to 3/4 bent stem, not to keen on straight stems, even though 1/2 of my collection contain straights...
Also any of the chinese metal bowl pipes on ebay, Sandias, and most of the Ukraine pipes..
Might of been easier to list the shapes that I do like???

maduroman

May 15, 2010
don't like bulldogs, but it is because of the way the stem fits my mouth not the shape...

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
hows BOUT NOT JUST DISLOKE, BUT DETEST THE METAL "FUTURE PIPES" WITH THE WIRES AROUND THE SO CALLED BOWL. YUUK. , probably so you won't burn your hand.

Aug 14, 2012
I don't like any pipe with the bowl tilted too far forward. They make it easier to set fire to yourself. No desire for a calabash either.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I can't abide the volcanos, especially the straight-grained high-relief stained ones; for some reason, they remind me of leisure suits and avocado-colored shag carpets.

cumberland

Lurker
May 10, 2012
DUBLIN!
While I just love the shape, for some reason I just never seem to get a good smoke out of a Dublin no matter how hard I try and whatever I smoke.

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
I can't believe that only one poster identified panel pipes. They are truly the spawn of Satan.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cumberland, that is surprising. I have a number of dublins and they all smoke great. I only smoke va or vaper flakes in them. The thicker walls provide a real cool smoke for me.
ruraldean, I have a panel pipe and love it. Here is a couple of pics. How can you hate something this pretty?

ferndown2.jpg

ferndown3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.