What Underrated Blends in Production do You Now Cellar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Interesting you mention that, the video I watched that made me think this would be a good topic, the person mentioned Former's which I never heard of, as well as Pelican and a blend called Hiking but can't quite remember who was producing it and none of which I've heard of previously.
Hiking is good stuff!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Everything I buy these days comes from the houses of C&D and Mac Baren so it’s all regularly stocked and even on sale a couple times per year.

All of my random tins and jars that I bought during the first few years of trying everything, I look at figuring it will take years to slowly get through it here and there. I’m too lazy to do a bunch of trades but if I could snap my fingers and turn my Reiner, gawith and esoterica jars into C&D I would do so in a heart beat.

Fortunate enough for me I guess.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
Everything I buy these days comes from the houses of C&D and Mac Baren so it’s all regularly stocked and even on sale a couple times per year.

All of my random tins and jars that I bought during the first few years of trying everything, I look at figuring it will take years to slowly get through it here and there. I’m too lazy to do a bunch of trades but if I could snap my fingers and turn my Reiner, gawith and esoterica jars into C&D I would do so in a heart beat.

Fortunate enough for me I guess.
Not a fan of Reiner? I've come across it recently, did a little digging and they seem to be just as coveted as the Esoterica blends, although that seems to apply specifically to blend 71.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Not a fan of Reiner? I've come across it recently, did a little digging and they seem to be just as coveted as the Esoterica blends, although that seems to apply specifically to blend 71.
I have 193 grams of Long Golden Flake from a 200 gram purchase. Can’t get into it and I’m a predominantly Virginia fan. I just tried it again last week after giving it over a year in the jar.

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
That's going to be a very subjective topic. Off hand I would say that the Sutliff matches offer some excellent choices, and one that I like very much, that is never mentioned, is Troost match.
It most definitely is, but I think that's the fun part. You mention something I haven't heard of and I read up on it and add it to the list. Maybe I'll get around to trying it, maybe I won't. But if it's mentioned afterwards it'll ring that bell and I'll have more incentive to try some. I don't really have favorites per se, I have preferences. Like pie, there's really no such thing as a bad pie, but there's most definitely flavors I'd rather eat over another. Even then, on any given day one could be more appealing than another!

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
I think one overlooked blend is Three Friars. I've only seen a few people post that they are smoking it. Most of my cellar is Haunted Bookshop and the Old Joe Krantz variants. Haven't been at this long enough to see any of the blends I like go out of production.
Same, although when I initially got interested that was just a few weeks before McClelland decided to close up. Managed to snag a few tins, recognizing what was happening though!

Reactions: RonB and ofafeather

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
I don't know about underrated. Lately I've been enjoying GLP's Barbary Coast for its interesting cube-cut burley base, Perique, and brandy flavoring. I've also gotten some good smokes out of D&R Two-Timer, twice toasted burleys, both as-is, and mixed with other blends or condiments. I'm enjoying a new round of C&D Tuggle Hall, a burley based English blend, PC's Match Elizabethan, C&D's Mountain Camp and their Big'n'Burley, among others. I'm going to open GLP's Jack Knife soon, I think.
You were actually the one who talked me into OJK when I first signed up a few years ago. Can't say I remember how it smoked fresh, but the age it acquired since is delightful!

mikeysmokes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2018
Ohio, USA
When this came back into production a couple years ago I made sure to get enough to last as long as I draw breath. It's a little polarizing and some really don't like it. Like AppalachianPiper92, I'm rather partial to it.
That's enough for me to add that to the short list! I've seen that mentioned and advertised a bit when do my shopping, gotta see what it's about.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
3 Ps just might have to be included on the next order. Almost pulled the trigger but decided not to and I've seen more than handful of references since then.
I wasn’t smitten by it on my first go many years ago but I wasn’t prepping it right, in fact, it took several revisits before it clicked for me. I love plugs and for the price, I personally think 3P’s is the best you can get in the US. I haven’t tried the newish Cascadia Plugs though, they look good but I seriously doubt they are any better than 3P’s and they are more expensive. I highly recommend 3P’s but don’t expect it to blow your mind right away, this is a tobacco that is greatly rewarding but it can be too much work for a lot of smokers, which I understand, but I’ve learned to love the ritual of plugs. I hope that you learn to love it too.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I wasn’t smitten by it on my first go many years ago but I wasn’t prepping it right, in fact, it took several revisits before it clicked for me. I love plugs and for the price, I personally think 3P’s is the best you can get in the US. I haven’t tried the newish Cascadia Plugs though, they look good but I seriously doubt they are any better than 3P’s and they are more expensive. I highly recommend 3P’s but don’t expect it to blow your mind right away, this is a tobacco that is greatly rewarding but it can be too much work for a lot of smokers, which I understand, but I’ve learned to love the ritual of plugs. I hope that you learn to love it too.
Please describe your ritual of plugs.

I picked up some 3P and Cascadia tins and am looking forward to starting my own ritual (and enjoyment).

I also picked up a noodle press for creating my own plugs, once the time and desire are right.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
have preferences. Like pie, there's really no such thing as a bad pie, but there's most definitely flavors I'd rather eat over another.
And, there are people who truly and absolutely loathe pie. You asked for Terra Incognita and have largely been quoted the Top 40 greatest hits. Be bold and go where few have gone before. Resist the hive mind if you dare!