PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

P

Plasticmask

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

When at home, I have an old cloth I wipe the end of the tamper off with after tamping. What do experienced pipe smokers do, when in public? Tamp, then wipe the thing off on their pants-leg before repocketing? I rather hesitate to believe that. There has to be something I just never saw my Father/Grandfather do after tamping their pipes when out and about. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Use your finger to tamp, then pat your friend on the back... :col:

I publicly smoke with a bag that contains all my pipe stuff. The lighters and tampers go into an outside pocket with no flap. I just drop it back in there when done.

That said, I, like @hoosierpipeguy , am a bit cretinous and I am not beyond the casual wipe on the hip of my jeans when necessary.

1583714800291.jpeg

M

Marindas

Since I only smoke outdoors I wipe it off on the sole of my shoe.

Reactions: rushx9
P

Plasticmask

I appreciate humour as much as anyone else, but I joined this forum for help. Can anyone give me any real help? Please? Now I'm hesitant to ask the questions I've got jotted regarding staining/dyeing because of this, since I don't want to be poisoned by someone "yanking my chain" or however you phrase it.

• Haha
Reactions: mortonbriar

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most often I use a pipe nail and it doesn't get especially sooty. The tamper end darkens, as does the end of the scoop, but not so it can't be brushed clean with a finger without getting ash around. I suppose the top of my sock might do, or a tissue, but it doesn't seem necessary. Maybe I'm not tidy enough. Disregard the jive; it's part of the banter here. 'Bunch of guys, you know.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I may clown around a lot, but my real answer is also in my response:

(JOKE PART)

(REAL ANSWER PART)

I publicly smoke with a bag that contains all my pipe stuff. The lighters and tampers go into an outside pocket with no flap. I just drop it back in there when done.

That said, I, like @hoosierpipeguy , am a bit cretinous and I am not beyond the casual wipe on the hip of my jeans when necessary.

In fact, of the 5 replies you've gotten so far, I see 4 with real answers, as far as I can tell.

I do genuinely welcome you to the forum, but in your skin is that thin, you should just use the ignore function on me right now.

Respectfully,
1583716924371.jpeg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't wipe off my tamper after use, but just stick it in an ashtray at home. Outside, I put the tamper (in this case, a golf tee) in the holder on my cart.

When out and about elsewhere, I either don't tamp for a bit, use the finger, or find a piece of wood for some gentle adjustment.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Wipe the tamper with my thumb and then back in the pocket. Then I wipe the thumb on my jeans. I could probably cut out the middleman. If I have to be somewhere where I need to be very clean, I am not smoking at all.

And take everything you read with a grain of salt. Does it matter if a response is a joke, or if it’s just the actual advice from a fool? You will still need to exercise your own judgment.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I appreciate humour as much as anyone else, but I joined this forum for help. Can anyone give me any real help? Please? Now I'm hesitant to ask the questions I've got jotted regarding staining/dyeing because of this, since I don't want to be poisoned by someone "yanking my chain" or however you phrase it.
I was gonna say walk slowly and try not to giggle, but see you aren't looking for humor... I sometimes carry a paper towel/napkin in my pocket. Wipe the tamper after each use, then wipe out the pipe after smoking. When I forget a napkin, I just wipe the tamper on my pants or stick it in my pocket dirty. No big deal.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Honestly, I used to carve tampers out of wood and use nails, golf tees, ect. Trouble was that those darn tampers were always rolling away and out of sight when I needed them. Now, I mostly just use my index finger. you have to be quick about it. That finger is pretty calloused. It still sort of hurts when I do it. I will used a tamper if one is handy. Also, I generally dont wipe a tamper off after use. Good luck and try not to scorch the rim of your briar pipes.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I wasn't being humorous. I actually do wipe it off on the side of the passenger's seat. Not sure it can be seen on the photo, but there's a certain colouration on the fabric due to my wiping the tamper off there. On the seat itself, near the edge, you can probably see a spot where the ashes from the tamper land when I haven't wiped it off, as that's where I place the tamper for quick access when I'm driving. With few exceptions for lunting in the warmer months, I smoke solely in my car, either driving or just sitting there idling.

RAV4_passenger_seat.jpg

If you are worried about germs or catching something from the tamper, just don't wipe it on something you wouldn't touch with your hands prior to touching your face with them. You can carry a hanky just for tamper wiping, if that makes you feel more at ease. Again, not being humorous or taking shots at you: I'm a germophobe myself and I wouldn't let my tamper touch my shoe's body, let alone the soles, and whenever that tamper has jumped off the seat and landed on the car's floor I no longer use it to tamp: I bring it home and wash it thoroughly.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My wooden tamper I use, literally gets wiped on my jeans. It comes off in the wash. If I were in an area that I didn't want those spots on my jeans, I'd just stick it in my coat breast pen pocket. That's where it permanently is kept.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

View attachment 21868

I tamp with my finger quite a bit. And invariably end up wiping some of it on my face. War paint.