2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 8, 2013
I usually just wipe it off on my mustache. Especially while smoking a goopy aromatic, it helps smooth the mustache out. Kind of like a mustache wax. Works great! For both the mustache and cleaning of the tamper! If I'm smoking perique, I stick the dirty end up a nostril and breath deeply. It both cleans the tamper and clears the sinuses.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
If the general public had a problem with the bit of dirty ash on my tamping finger, then they would probably also have a problem with all the various other work related dirt on my 9 remaining digits, at which point I throw my hands up and declare the whole thing redundant.

The other day I was over-emphasizing something to my neighbours while stopping for a chat and thanks to my wild hand gestures (possibly contagious, my wife is Italian) I showered them both with ash from my pipe. THAT was embarrassing, I will readily admit.

Isaac.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Geez i never even thought of this. If im walking i just stick it right back in my pocket. Maybe i should read the washing instructions for the jacket i usually wear.

Reactions: Kozeman and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A couple of nice and fancy contained tampers above. If you don't want to invest in same, and are concerned with pocketing a dirty tamper, a tiny plastic bag works well.

Reactions: rushx9

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I appreciate humour as much as anyone else, but I joined this forum for help. Can anyone give me any real help? Please? Now I'm hesitant to ask the questions I've got jotted regarding staining/dyeing because of this, since I don't want to be poisoned by someone "yanking my chain" or however you phrase it.
I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy and mostly I wear sneakers so I don't worry about the ash on the bottom of my tamper, I just put it in my jeans.

On those occasions when I'm wearing dressier clothes, I will usually just wipe the ash off on the heel of my shoes or boots. If I'm standing up, I will just rub the ash off with my left thumb.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Guys, I think we scared this guy away... his profile tag now says guest? Maybe yanked his chain too hard and it fell off? I, for one, appreciate you all for your humor and your wisdom! Never change! They say only the wisest and the stupidest never change, and I'm glad we have good representation of both sides here???!