What Pipe would You Like to have Back? Why?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Wow, what a sweet lady and a sweet tradition you have with the pipe. A special pipe and a special tobacco for a special season; that sounds really lovely.

But isn’t Advent a time for fasting? Although I guess you’re fasting from those other pipes and tobaccos. 😉😁
I've never heard of fasting during advent, but I'm also a full blooded protestant. Our advent traditions are a countdown to Christmas with a nightly devotional reading.

Reactions: AroEnglish

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
The only one I’m not crazy about is the Ascorti looks-wise

Funny how our aesthetic tastes differ -- that was actually my favorite of the five!
I very much miss a somewhat similar Ascorti I once had.
It's dedicated to Christmas aromatic blends and I only smoke it during Advent. It helps me decorate the tree and read stories to the kids.

I have such a pipe as well! Although it's a cheapie. A large bent egg Lorenzo, dyed a somewhat ghastly red ... it came in a lot of estates to clean up ... my kids immediately latched on to it as a "Christmas pipe" and told me to smoke it whilst cutting down our Christmas tree a few years ago (we always cut our tree on the first Sunday of Advent, after mass). I smoked Boswell's Christmas Cookie in it, and since then the tradition has been set in stone. I smoke Boswell's Christmas Cookie in that Lorenzo every first Sunday of Advent while cutting down our tree.

But isn’t Advent a time for fasting?

It was historically a penitential season leading to Christmas, somewhat like Lent is a penitential season leading to Easter/Pascha, but IIUC even during the middle ages Advent had a somewhat more joyous spin on it than Lent did. Some younger/zealous "rad trad" type Catholics are trying to bring back a more penitential Advent, I think.
I intend this year to find a way of mixing some meaningful abstinence into this anticipatory season.

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
My first pipe was an estate 1948 Dunhill Quaint that I bought in the 60s with money saved from my paper route. Paid around $40 which was a lot of money for me back then.

After I got married my mom cleaned out my room and I'm guessing the pipe was discarded.

Would like it back as it held a lot of memories for me

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I've gotten rid of a lot of pipes over the years and I really haven't regretted selling or giving away any of them.

But if I had to choose, I would say it would be an older Ascorti New Dear KS Egg that was in a natural finish and had a pretty deep bend in the stem. It was a little big for my tastes and the deep bend didn't really do it for me.

But it was a gorgeous pipe and smoked like a dream. So I wouldn't mind having that one back if the opportunity came around.

There are still a handful of pipes that I would like to acquire before I put an end to pipe-purchasing, but beyond
that, I'm pretty content with what I have now.

Reactions: AroEnglish and SBC

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
A lovely "Oom Paul"/Hungarian I bought not long after I first started out - my first briar. I got rid of it because I was an impatient noob and found it more challenging to smoke than the cobs I had gotten used to. Wish I had kept it and learned to smoke it properly.

Reactions: AroEnglish and SBC
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Of the almost 100 pipes (briars, cobs, meers), I've owned over the past 12 years; I still own about 45 pipes, and there is only one pipe that I can think of that I would want back.

I had a late 60's to early 70's Custom-bilt that I really enjoyed and was a great smoking pipe. I sent it to a YT friend to have it cleaned up, and it was broken while in his care. The shank was broken near the base of the bowl, so basically impossible to repair. It was such a classic looking pipe, and a great smoker. Dang I miss that pipe. :(

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I left this Chacom 2016 Pipe of The Year on the roof of my car, as I was trying to round up the dogs and load them into the car while leaving the dog park a few years ago. It's probably still in a ditch somewhere along the side of the highway, unless somebody found it. I looked for it in the lost and found at the dog park for months. Never turned up. It was almost new and I'd only smoked it a couple of times. I really loved the shape and finish, and the Cumberland mouthpiece was nice too. It's theoretically not irreplaceable because it was part of a series, so another one like it is out there somewhere. Maybe not identical. I've only seen sandblasted ones though, and none for sale.
004-003-5371.9444.jpg