What Pipe would You Like to have Back? Why?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Damaged, yes…
View attachment 107191
But I don’t miss it. It sits in the left drawer of my little accessories cabinet right by my smoking chair. I take it out every now and again to remind myself what carelessness looks like.
dropped a pencil shank 4 clubs becker Dublin on the first day I owned it. Broke about the same place as yours. sent it out for repair and, understandably, came back with a reinforced shank and a silver band at the break point. Never smoked it again and now it is in the overflow box in the basement. I like your solution better...

BJV

Lurker
Nov 8, 2023
I had three pipes disappear from my desk back in the 70s. To this day I believe it was one of my colleagues who didn’t like smoking. One was my first pipe—a Doc Grabow I bought in the Chanute AFB BX back in 1963. Not only was it perfectly caked, it had sentimental value.

I also had a BBB Canadian Longshank in that batch. Two of my best, damn it!

H

HRPufnstuf

Twenty-five years ago I lost a Nording bent apple with a brass stem ring that I miss to this day.

Reactions: AroEnglish

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Edited title for capitalization and brevity. Original:
Thinking back on all the pipes you had, which one would you most like to have back today and why ?

I do not yet have an answer to my own question.

This thought came to mind when I was at the dog park this morning smoking. I've heard the ice-breaker question "what photo would you like to have again but lost?", but let's apply this to pipes!
My first pipe. It was a pretty plain basket pipe. But it's kind of like how I'd love to talk with the first girl I made out with now (I haven't seen her since then a.k.a. last tuesday). I gave it away after getting the second pipe which I still have. Also would love to have back the Tyrolean pipe I got years ago that was a true aberration it smoked great looked wonderful and clenched like a dream.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I don't regret a single pipe I've let go.
The only two pipes I've ever gotten rid of that I loved, were gifts to friends who were just getting started pipe smoking. When I began paring down my collection, I decided that I only wanted pipes that I loved every single aspect of and wouldn't change a thing about. Each pipe I've gotten rid of, had at least one point of contention with my personal preferences, and so I let them go in order to fund the purchase of pipes I absolutely loved. In a matter of months, I went from 14 briar pipes that I liked, to 4 that I absolutely love.
I'm reading through this old thread and was struck by your comment. Are you still at 4 pipes now?

Reactions: kcghost and FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I haven't regretted getting rid of any yet, as I've only relinquished some of the "standard" pipes that came along with the beginning of my exploration, as opposed to ones that have actually been along on the journey with me for a little while.

But I like the question. And the answers.

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
Not sure if it fits. But my dead granduncle lost his favourite dunhill while once in a lifetime went to collect mushrooms. He found a big boletus. Was super excited and left his beloved dunhill there. Never found it again. Out of anger he bought another dunhill which I inheritated. Well I guess him and me would like this pipe back but I guess it already changed also to a mushroom ;)

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I'm reading through this old thread and was struck by your comment. Are you still at 4 pipes now?
I'm actually up to 5 now. Still don't own a pipe I have a single complaint about though. My philosophy there hasn't changed.

Out of the 4 from my original comment I still have 3 and acquired two more. One was gift from a member here, and the other a commission from Ryan Alden. (another member here.)

• Wow

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm actually up to 5 now. Still don't own a pipe I have a single complaint about though. My philosophy there hasn't changed.

Out of the 4 from my original comment I still have 3 and acquired two more. One was gift from a member here, and the other a commission from Ryan Alden. (another member here.)
That’s so great! At one point I had a limit of 7 pipes and stayed pretty faithful to it. I don’t know if I’ll go back to 7 but I do want to be more discerning about the pipes I keep.

Do you have a shot of the five pipes, either together or separately?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I didn't remember missing this one, until AeroEnglish asked me about an estate Ferndown Silver Spigot. This Tudor Root Silver Spigot (two star) was truly decadent. Alas, at 66 grams, a tad heavy and not enough bend. Still....

Ferndown_2_Star_Tudor_Root_Gallery.JPG

Reactions: Merton

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I traded in a Peterson Christmas 999 from 2019 and occasionally regret it. It was my first nice pipe and I had some great smokes out of it.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
That’s so great! At one point I had a limit of 7 pipes and stayed pretty faithful to it. I don’t know if I’ll go back to 7 but I do want to be more discerning about the pipes I keep.

Do you have a shot of the five pipes, either together or separately?

1.Ryan Alden Foursquare

2.Pre-Republic Peterson 317 Grade 0 (A gift from @ashdigger)

3.Foundation by Musico Sandblasted Billiard with Boxwood

4.Tom Eltang Rusticated Poker

5. 1997 Ascorti Christmas Pipe

IMG20231108190515.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
1.Ryan Alden Foursquare

2.Pre-Republic Peterson 317 Grade 0 (A gift from @ashdigger)

3.Foundation by Musico Sandblasted Billiard with Boxwood

4.Tom Eltang Rusticated Poker

5. 1997 Ascorti Christmas Pipe

View attachment 259829
Ok well if that was my 5 pipe lineup I’d also be pretty content. The only one I’m not crazy about is the Ascorti looks-wise but I’m sure it’s a great smoker with that large chamber. But the other are all top notch in my book.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Ok well if that was my 5 pipe lineup I’d also be pretty content. The only one I’m not crazy about is the Ascorti looks-wise but I’m sure it’s a great smoker with that large chamber. But the other are all top notch in my book.
The Ascorti is a sentimental keeper. My mom bought it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago. The pipe on the whole is larger than I normally prefer, but it fits the bill nicely as a Christmas pipe for me. It's dedicated to Christmas aromatic blends and I only smoke it during Advent. It helps me decorate the tree and read stories to the kids.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
The Ascorti is a sentimental keeper. My mom bought it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago. The pipe on the whole is larger than I normally prefer, but it fits the bill nicely as a Christmas pipe for me. It's dedicated to Christmas aromatic blends and I only smoke it during Advent. It helps me decorate the tree and read stories to the kids.
Wow, what a sweet lady and a sweet tradition you have with the pipe. A special pipe and a special tobacco for a special season; that sounds really lovely.

But isn’t Advent a time for fasting? Although I guess you’re fasting from those other pipes and tobaccos. 😉😁

Reactions: solideogloria86