Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
Some of our older cousins were Paul Revere & the Raiders fans. They gave us Monkees fans a hard time, saying they were fake.
Well their music was mostly written by Boyce & Hart. They were a made for tv (and Boomer kids like us) production.

Hopefully these tidbit facts don’t Grinch anyone. I still have fond memories of watching their tv show & listening to them as kids

Mac

I like them and their songs. Who wrote them doesn't really matter to me. They get stick for being a manufactured band but it wasn't like they were Milli Vanilli, or anything.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I like them and their songs. Who wrote them doesn't really matter to me. They get stick for being a manufactured band but it wasn't like they were Milli Vanilli, or anything.
Yep.

After reading this thread I’m going to download some of their albums. I literally haven’t heard a Monkees song in decades. Hadn’t thought of them till this thread.

Mac

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
LmpwZWc.jpeg

Now playing The Crusaders - Chain Reaction​

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Since they were a made for TV band they "cast" them to play their instruments. Davey Jones was the only one who knew how to play the drums, but the producers thought that being behind the kit would emphasize his short stature and he wouldn't be seen. So they moved Dolenz behind the kit and put Davey out as the front man. Tork was a better guitarist than Nesmith, and Nesmith had played bass before, but the producers switched that up as well and made Tork the bassist. Based on abilities, the lineup would have been Jones on drums, Tork playing lead guitar, Nesmith on bass, and Dolenz as the lead singer and front man.
There was quite a bit of manufacturing going on during that period with the wrecking crew and all of that. Some of the other big name bands started out very similar to the Monkees, and some of them could barely play...I've read descriptions of the Byrds early formation and instrument assignments for example that sounded just like what you're describing...and Stephen Stills supposedly was almost chosen as one of the Monkeys initially...but as things progressed into the late '60s and beyond there was a movement toward authenticity...and some of them had learned to play a lot better by then as well.

Another 1972 classic from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, recorded with young Willie Nelson, Sam Bush, Johnny Cash, Jimmy Martin, Ricky Skaggs, and on and on with the biggest names. This is a classic, and if you can get hold of a vinyl copy, hold on to it. This album was recorded way ahead of its time.
Also the banter between songs is amazing. Think about kings of country, bluegrass, and gospel coming together with hippies to make something amazing!
1673033828626.png

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In 1973 ABC Records, flush with cash and looking for artists, discovered Lefty Frizzell was down and out, drunk, and without a label.

So they hired the best songwriters and pickers in Nashville, sobered him up, and the results were two albums of masterful twang by the originator of modern honky tonk. Since I Love You a Thousand Ways, every male honky tonk country star has been a Lefty Frizzell impersonator to one degree or another.

The last of the two albums was released a month before Lefty died of a stroke at 47 in July 1975.

This is the apex of honky tonk.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Micky Dolenz is the only surviving member. They used to repeat The Monkees tv show here in the UK in the early 1980's during the school summer holidays. I used to love watching that when I was a kid and i've been listening to their music ever since.

Good band with some great songs.
If you can stand his voice, Gilbert Gottfried had a great podcast that’s still available on which he interviewed Dolenz as well as many other voices of nostalgia. Many might think of Gottfried as just a (deceased) dirty comedian, but he was extremely knowledgeable on Hollywood and TV and show biz trivia and he has great interviews with semi-obscure (not to many of us perhaps) people from bygone days.