12 Fresh Winslow Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
Micky Dolenz is the only surviving member. They used to repeat The Monkees tv show here in the UK in the early 1980's during the school summer holidays. I used to love watching that when I was a kid and i've been listening to their music ever since.

Good band with some great songs.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Micky Dolenz is the only surviving member. They used to repeat The Monkees tv show here in the UK in the early 1980's during the school summer holidays. I used to love watching that when I was a kid and i've been listening to their music ever since.

Good band with some great songs.
Since they were a made for TV band they "cast" them to play their instruments. Davey Jones was the only one who knew how to play the drums, but the producers thought that being behind the kit would emphasize his short stature and he wouldn't be seen. So they moved Dolenz behind the kit and put Davey out as the front man. Tork was a better guitarist than Nesmith, and Nesmith had played bass before, but the producers switched that up as well and made Tork the bassist. Based on abilities, the lineup would have been Jones on drums, Tork playing lead guitar, Nesmith on bass, and Dolenz as the lead singer and front man.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Since they were a made for TV band they "cast" them to play their instruments. Davey Jones was the only one who knew how to play the drums, but the producers thought that being behind the kit would emphasize his short stature and he wouldn't be seen. So they moved Dolenz behind the kit and put Davey out as the front man. Tork was a better guitarist than Nesmith, and Nesmith had played bass before, but the producers switched that up as well and made Tork the bassist. Based on abilities, the lineup would have been Jones on drums, Tork playing lead guitar, Nesmith on bass, and Dolenz as the lead singer and front man.

Some of our older cousins were Paul Revere & the Raiders fans. They gave us Monkees fans a hard time, saying they were fake.
Well their music was mostly written by Boyce & Hart. They were a made for tv (and Boomer kids like us) production.

Hopefully these tidbit facts don’t Grinch anyone. I still have fond memories of watching their tv show & listening to them as kids

Mac

Jun 9, 2018
England
Yeah, I've seen a documentary and a tv movie on the band which explained (roughly) what went on. They teamed up with Jack Nicholson for a movie and the The Archies song Sugar Sugar was meant for them but they wanted to write their own stuff.

Micky has a great voice btw.