PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Listening to the Bill Evans LP, Conversations With Myself. Here's "Stella By Starlight"
https://www.youtube.com/embed/fIOh1_o3jnE

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Listening to some opera 78s on my variable-speed turntable this afternoon.

I think that even those of you who aren't into opera will enjoy this beautiful tune, one of my favorite arias, from Lalo's opera Le Roi d'Ys, "Vainement, ma bien aimee" in a 1922 performance by Beniamino Gigli.

My copy is in very good shape and sounds like this LP transfer.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/gUi6dTi48ZY

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's exceptionally nice. There are quite a few selections in the iTunes store, and a few of them are re-mastered, but not sure that this recording was done. (I just dislike noise, but admire those who can resurrect good old recording.)

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Nothing like an Old Antiquari 55 stuffed with Capstan, a Yeti full of Folger's and a light rain tapping the patio roof on this Saturday morning to bring about reflection.
Liquid Mind VI.
Mr. Wild, (Etal).

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Listening to kikaguka moyo-Dripping sun. They are a Japanese psychedelic folk/rock band. Just found them a few days ago and I'm totally digging them.

rogerrodger

Lurker
Dec 7, 2018
Tchaikovsky Nutcracker--The Act II finale is pure joy, especially the sparkling celesta section.
Bill Evans, what a genius. My favorite of his is My Man's Gone Now from Sunday at the Village Vanguard. I got to hear him live once in the late 1970s in a little basement club in Greenwich Village. It was like listening to J.S.Bach improvise, all that perfect counterpoint created on the spot. At the end of the set he just gave a little yawn and walked backstage for his break.

Status
Not open for further replies.