PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Holy crap Beef...those are two great stories. I’m glad I had that song on my mind...how serendipitous. I listened to it again last night after posting it and that moon line kept running through my head. I can easily imagine what a magical memory that would be from that concert. I’m sure PS remembers it as well.
But your AG story is even better...I mean that’s something that only happens in a movie. I bet Art was thinking, I wonder if these guys are going to kidnap me. :lol:
I can’t remember hearing about AG’s walk before, and I was wondering if he might have just been joking with you guys, so I just looked this up...below is an excerpt:
How have the press and Art Garfunkel's fans treated him during his walk?
"I was left almost totally alone. There were times that the press latched onto me and then I would have to strike a deal. If you leave me alone, I'll give you an interview in the coffee shop in the town I'm about to come to. ..... But I was never really hassled and I find the world .... is a safe place. Almost the entire world is trying to mind their own business and stay out of trouble and find their way to heaven in their own way. They just can't be bothered with you. There is another phenomena that my fellow celebrities may know. If you are wearing a non-persona, if behind your face, you are feeling like I'm not a famous singer, I'm just a guy looking out at the beauty of the landscape. The attitude that you project belies any sense of celebrity. So, even if somebody says, 'he seems to look like Art Garfunkel, but it can't be, look at his tone, his attitude, that couldn't be him.' So I never get hassled."From the "Across America" Interview.
While walking across America, what is the most surprising thing that had happened to you or that you had observed?
"In the Appalachians of West Virginia, the sun was going down and I was stuck for a place to stay. I knocked on the door of a private farm house. Three college-age girls were in the middle of an LSD trip. They recognized me as Art Garfunkel. I learned that they were three of thousands (millions?) who are "invisible" - pay no taxes, avoid the census taker; they are not on America's books." From the "1999 AG Website" Interview.
https://www.artgarfunkel.com/america_walk_quotes.html

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
.I mean that’s something that only happens in a movie.
Thinking back on that moment it was really quite surreal......... It would have been a great scene in a movie!........

I've loved Simon and Garfunkel since I was a toddler. Although Simon gets a nod for his songwriting prowess, its Art that really fascinates me. The guy is a study in humanity itself. He's one of those guys that does what he wants, just because he wants to do it. He's kept a book list since 1968 that's over 1000 titles! He's got a Masters in mathematics, and is a bit compulsive with numbers...........An accomplished poet too, poems he graciously shares on his website. Art truly loves America. What an interesting man........... :puffy:
I love his "Note to younger self", written on the back of an envelope........... Note to younger self

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I'm listening to the Tete Montoliu LP, Tête à Tete, with Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen and Al "Tootie" Heath.

Here's Tete's solo performance of "Lush Life"
https://www.youtube.com/embed/mHgbPhBwcLk

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Although Simon gets a nod for his songwriting prowess, its Art that really fascinates me. The guy is a study in humanity itself.
That's interesting Beef...I'll have to check out some of his poetry. I've never really known anything about AG beyond his singing with PS and his role in Carnal Knowledge.
To walk across America was quite an undertaking...I can't imagine doing that. Can you imagine those girls in the farmhouse trying to get someone to believe their story?
"We were tripping on acid in this farmhouse out in the middle of nowhere and Art Garfunkel knocked on the door." :rofl:

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Phil, I like your taste.
Beef, those are great stories. Thanks to my youth I'm all too familiar with gassing up boats to cruise bfe Ohio backroads as they were essentially international water and you could do about anything.
Currently playing Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Now that the film Green Book has received some awards, it’s a good time to revisit some of Dr. Don Shirley’s wonderful recordings. Here’s an amazing rendition of “Georgia On My Mind”
https://www.youtube.com/embed/SWJJm2WJ-WA

Dec 28, 2015
Currently listening to Kraftwerk - Radioactivity ( on vinyl). Been on a bit of a krautrock kick lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.