Oct 15, 2011
ninjaride02.jpg

'09 Ninja 250

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Love that old Bonnie, Jaysin!
The dealership is about half bikes and half "motorclothes" and shit like that. (from portascat)
I worked at a Harley McStealership for about a year. I rode in on my Triumph and Out on my Triumph. I had the same problem you did. In order to get a new FXDWG to perform anywhere near where I wanted it was going to cost me about $3000 in mods and the "Owner" Who is really just a glorified General Manager for a dummy corporation that owns the franchise wouldn't give me a break on the bike or labor.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
@smokindawg -I had a Yamaha 125 Vino that was a blast to zip around town on. Had to sell it though when I got the Scrambler. Can't afford insurance and license tags for more than one bike plus the cars.
770.jpg

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
@baronsamedi

I got it for a uhhhh few bucks last summer at a auction I was the only one who bid on it. It was in the condition in the pic with 5500 miles on it.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I have a fat boy too............ Oh wait, I'm the fat boy, but I'm riding a scooter!
Mike, at 467lbs mine is more of a rider than a zipper, but I sure enjoy cruising round on it. Riding it is like setting in a big office chair and it has the power and speed and handles well for riding these curvy Ozark back roads. Plus can't beat the storage. The trunk under the seat will hold my full face helmet as well as lots more. I can even do minor grocery shopping and when I pull away, you'd never know that I have a weeks groceries under the seat.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
'82 Honda CB900: alas, no pictures of the thing. Currently disassembled, needs a new frame.

bryanhayn

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
Had a Vespa LX150 for a year and crashed it, got minor scrapes and bruises. Insurance said the frame bent so they considered it totaled. Then I picked up a Vespa S150 and had it for about a year before totaling that one, too. Came away from that with a broken back and left leg. I was stupid...I split lanes whenever I could and rode in the bike lanes...it's easy to squeeze through traffic on a small Vespa. Now I own a VW Jetta :( One day I hope to get a 600cc sport bike or at least a vintage Vespa to kill myself on.

danz

Lurker
Jan 11, 2012
New Zealand
In my younger days, 3 years ago i had an '87 NSR 250r as over here once you get your learners (idiot proof) your entitled to ride up to a 250cc.. The nsr i had was faster than allot of bikes i came across for a tiny displacement,Used to get a laugh racing 'men' on there harleys, had to sell it in the end due to to many instances with the police i couldn't afford to keep it any more. And probably why im still here.
Photo is not mine.
NSR250.jpg

billm67

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Camp Hill, PA
Don't get a Harley with a 96...They're over stroked. My 01' Electra Glide has Andrews 26 cams and new Fueling Lifters...all new cam bearings, new cam chain tensioners and a Vance and Hines pipe. I have the Zippers retrofit kit for the Screaming Eagle air filter and a Dyno Jet Power Commander. My buddy has a 09 Electra Glide with the screaming eagle slip ons, the air filter kit and the reflashed computer. He got off my bike and said....that thing just wants to go! My 01 will flat out run away from the 96 motor. Those andrews 26 cams are great in a heavy street bike. The best part is I did all of the work myself.

danz

Lurker
Jan 11, 2012
New Zealand
^ how does it fare on cornering? I have only rode one harley and while i was going round a roundabout the pegs were scraping.
Where i live we have alot of "gangs" that ride harleys with massive ape hangers etc, 9 times out of 10 they will come screaming past you as if out of no where while driving to work doing the speed limit in my sub average 1.8 car, only to meet them on the next corner and almost feel obliged to get out and give them a push. Once round the corner and onto a straight they are a 'bat out of hell' bad ass.. Until the next corner.
Not suggesting this is you in any way,but this is my experience with them.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Well I do not have Motorcycle. Can't afford a bike

and two cell phones at the same time.

Joe2shoes

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
how does it fare on cornering? I have only rode one harley and while i was going round a roundabout the pegs were scraping.

I've scraped everything I ever rode, and I've rode other bikes than Harleys. I never rode a sport bike though, and if I did I would probably not have scraped one of those (or wanted to).
And thanx for bringing up the tired, old Harley stereotypes. I was beginning to worry that they wouldn't make it into this thread.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
9 times out of 10 they will come screaming past you as if out of no where while driving to work doing the speed limit in my sub average 1.8 car, only to meet them on the next corner and almost feel obliged to get out and give them a push. Once round the corner and onto a straight they are a 'bat out of hell' bad ass.. Until the next corner.
sounds like me. On the bike.
Harley are really too big, too heavy, and too low to corner well. Lots of folks think they can corner them like hell, and maybe they can for a Harley, but you can't lay them down like a tucked in sportbike.
The engine design is ancient. Pushrod technology and all. A cobbled together V-twin design. Decent amounts of torque, even stock, but (stock) HP levels in the upper 70's? All to push a 700 lb. bike?
That is why people have been stripping them down for decades now.
I some decent street mods, and some guy above scooter will run just as fast (over 100 mph). But not many women want to swing a leg over a scooter at the end of a hard night of fun.
Even ol Sonny Barger says he hates Harleys. Said if he wasn't in the club, he would ride a jap bike. But ti si what it is. Used to be a Hog was a poor mans bike. Like a T bucket or a torn down coupe, all the extras torn off, and as big a motor and carb as you could stick on it. Guy couldn't afford a new car, much less a "performance car", so he made his own the best he could. Same with a Harley. Only now, Harley sells the image, and sells it well. And it costs an arm and a leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.