PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
what makes it great it moves me deeply and I can't really tell you why. For me that's what makes something great versus just good. Whether it's execution is technical or straight beginner. If I can't help but feel something and feel something strong. That can be anything either. Joy, disquiet, depression, dancing, or whatever.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I usually end up understanding art that I didn't understand before when someone pipes up with, "I don't get it" when they look at it. It makes me think twice about what's going on.
that's funny I can so relate. I've had songs, movies, paintings, any art in general suddenly have the meanings and themes open up. Why because someone asks me what's this about. And the weird thing is sometimes it's pieces that have actively perplexed me for years. But somehow trying to explain it to another person in the simplest but honest terms cracks the mystery.
Recently it was one of my favorite songs. Bloodstreamsrun by Nature and Organization.

Reactions: JOHN72
I was involved in the museum here when Ronald Roller Wilson came to town to show some of his works. He does these renaissance styled paintings of monkeys. Layers of oil colors and varnishes that are much more amazing to see in person than in digital format. Very fun stuff. I would love to see more work that evolves from humor.

I imagine that the diva-nature of his models drive him bananas.

1631715264850.png

1631715293555.png

1631715324921.png

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No, I had to google it. We may have to visit there. Sounds wild. Is it like the Van Gogh experience thing touring the US?
It's kind of like being in a version of Wonderland, full of strange surrealistic and wonderful things. It's highly interactive, like the woolly mammoth skeleton that one can play like a xylophone, or transformative like the ordinary 50's era refrigerator in the kitchen, which when opened reveals a passageway to the embarkation center for the multiverse. It's a maze of various environments and the detail is enthalling. The presentation goes much deeper than what you see at first glance, it invites closer and closer inspection.

It's also a very commercial enterprise, created by an artist's collective, and is something entirely different in the marketplace.

I loved it and went back a couple of times because there's always more to discover and amuse.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When I was a kid, one of my schoolbooks had a picture of that Monet painting with the water lilies or whatever.

I don't remember much about it, but I remember how it made me feel.

I wanted to be in that painting. I wanted to live there. That was home.

So, for the rest of the day, I stared at that painting in my book. Somehow, nobody bothered me.

I don't remember what I felt or thought, exactly, but it was transcendental.

Good writing uses levels of interpretation. They're built in. That's gospel in my world, and my books and songs reflect it.

Art is the same.

Levels of interpretation.

With visual art, the levels are often...visual. Words don't describe every level.

I compare everything to the moment I was a little kid and I saw Monet.

That's my constant.

It crosses periods and genres and media just fine.

Art just has to be as good as the moment I saw Monet.
When I was in Paris I visited the Musée Marmottan Monet which has the largest collection of Monet's water lilly paintings. They are truly immersive and the viewing space is supportive of relaxed contemplation. That, and getting a guided introduction to the red light district of Pigalle, were two of my favorite experiences of Paris.

What is art ? What is a great work ? We can dig deep into this
Yes, and how would you define these?
I prefer to think that we all like different things and have different perspectives, so I don't subscribe to a "one definition fits all" ideal. Besides, I don't like for other people to tell me what art is (to me).

So, what is art to you?

Reactions: Winterreise
and i guess a great work is something that make you live forever .
When I used to lecture on this, I would liken the motives for making art to be like my hamster, Scrumpy. When I was a kid I used to watch Scrumpy drag and rub his butt on everything in the cage. I thought that he must have just had the itchiest butt ever. Then, when Scrumpy jumped the mortal coil, and was buried in a matchbox, I got a new hamsters, who spent days smelling around in the cage. I think of motives to make art as like Scrumpy rubbing his butt around on the cage. We do this so as to give the next hamster something to remember us by. puffy

• Haha
Reactions: Winterreise

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
When I used to lecture on this, I would liken the motives for making art to be like my hamster, Scrumpy. When I was a kid I used to watch Scrumpy drag and rub his butt on everything in the cage. I thought that he must have just had the itchiest butt ever. Then, when Scrumpy jumped the mortal coil, and was buried in a matchbox, I got a new hamsters, who spent days smelling around in the cage. I think of motives to make art as like Scrumpy rubbing his butt around on the cage. We do this so as to give the next hamster something to remember us by. puffy
This is ANALogy at his finest , couldn’t rephrase that in a better way . Now i understand why so many artist love to smell their own fart , just like a cook tasting his own dishes. (Don’t mind my grammar?)

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good art:
Bruno Liljefors, Salvador Dalí, Thomas Hart Benton, Peter Howson,
Andrew Wyeth, John Atkinson Grimshaw, Horiyoshi III .

Bad art:
Thomas Kinkade, Itziar Okariz.
Did you purposely leave out anyone and everyone from the year dot up until the 20th Century?

And I'd argue Kinkade was not an artist as much as a cynical businessman. Don't know Okariz.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't know his work at all. Just a quick google look and I think he is just a nitche artists for the Fantasy folks. Probably makes more money selling posters than canvas.
Why do you think he's cynical?
Ah, my bad. Wrong "artiste". Yes, Kinkade is as you describe. I was thinking of the guy who put lots of wide eyed things on black canvas. Ooops, woman. Here's an example among 1,354,287 similar pieces.

THE-STRAY-copy.jpg