PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
When I meet people older than me who have been smoking pipes for ages and they tell that they are still learning, or that every day they learn something new, that pipe-smoking is sort of an art or a subject no one can ever master, etc., I honestly cannot believe my ears. And you guys know why this is? Let me tell you why, because they could not care less about tobacco. Smoking a pipe means different things to different people. Now call me obnoxious if you like.
I have a different point of view. I think any true hobby is one in which you can continue to learn more about different aspects of the hobby, whether it’s playing a musical instrument, visiting archaeological ruins, or smoking a pipe. I think that’s what’s different than a habit for me. I wouldn’t find anything interesting about drinking a Coke every day as far as a hobby because there are no variables to learn about. Perhaps the learning curve slows way down after one learns how to smoke a pipe consistently well but I still think there is room in this hobby for exploration, new learning and adaptation to new ideas.

Reactions: mithridate

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Treat-Yourself-H_1-202.jpg

Ever have a roach defying your would be crushing shoe? You should have squished the little sonofabitch five times but somehow it skitters away and finally disappears into the baseboards.

Well, at 8:02 am he's at it again. I wish him a very short life.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and rushx9

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
One of the highlights in any campaign of total roach annihilation is the crunch. That is you don't just crush the critter, you pulverize under the heel such that you can hear the carapace shatter, kind of like the delightful snaps of a Nestles crunch.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I'm the type of prick that is always trying new blends and rarely repeating a blend, unless it's the Frog.
The poser Pipe smokers you are referring to are just hipsters, some of the filthiest creatures on the planet those things.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Funny thread, and some great responses to a ridiculous thought and question. Seems there would be more respect for the community as a whole.