What is Your most Ridiculous piece of Kit?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
We need more info on that! Looks like it's from the 1970's? Is it forced air or a heater (or both)?
What does the manual say? From The Smithsonian Collection?
It is not mine, but I did run into an ad for it once. I think it was marketed in the 1970s as a way for pipe smokers to dry out their pipes after smoking using a small heater.

Smoke dog

Lurker
Sep 21, 2021
In the dog house
There was a member here who wanted to carve a tamper out of a human metatarsal bone. Apparently you can just buy those legally. ...
I'm very much macabre inclined and would love love that. My friend has an old tibetan skull (human) that's has carved designs and silver scroll work, glass eyes, and the top of the scull comes off to reveal a silver dish. It was used to drink spirits and do monk type ritual's.
It's also legal. There is a company that sells "lab cultured" human skin. There is a person who makes shoes, wallets , and purses out of them. Apparently the top 1%buys so many there is a 5 year waiting period for them

Reactions: saintpeter

Smoke dog

Lurker
Sep 21, 2021
In the dog house
That would be a great keepsake. There were many Ghurkas in WW2 Burma and I've done alot of reading on that campaign. (A great memoir is 'Quartered Safe Out Here,' by George MacDonald Fraser; also good is 'Behind Japanese Lines: With the OSS in Burma' by Richard Dunlop )
I've also seen several great stories in recent years, including some bandits that tried to hold up a train in India and, too bad for them, they were charged by a Ghurka with his kukri. The Ghurka won.
More:
Why Gurkhas Are the Fiercest Fighters on the Planet (popularmechanics.com)
I believe I heard of a story of 100 ghurkas (possible seiks) that held off thousands of Afghanis. Long time ago. They were using muskets, fortified at a fort. Certified bad ass's

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Rubber stem bits. Looked like a good idea, but just didn't work for me.

I agree in general, but I did wind up with a use for one:
I chipped a little chunk off the bit of a meer stem (when trying to open up the airway with a hand drill...), then superglued it back on. The glue-up is perfectly functional, but ugly as sin. So I cover it with a rubber bit, and nobody's the wiser.

Reactions: OzPiper

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A pipe tamper made from a human carpal bone. It's a long story.
seinfeld.gif

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
If it's useless I won't keep it, but for some reason I like to keep an old ten penny nail that I found back in high school and occasionally use it as a tamper/pick. Me and some buddies were sneaking some beer behind a construction site for apartments when I found it. I had just kept it in a drawer with a bunch of old coins and then one day, who knows how many years ago, I was looking at my stash of coins, found the nail, and decided to use it for a tamper.