What Is Your Favorite English or Balkan Blend Right Now?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I'm still grieving for the 10g or less I have left of 3 Oaks Syrian, and because I missed out on Foggy's sale of 1 billion tins

I got one of Foggy's Syrian 3 Oaks.. Sorry..

Anthony, I think those would probably be good mixed. :mrgreen:

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
H&H Magnum Opus

H&H White Knight
This make top of the list, tip of the iceberg ....
Following are most of GLP's mixtures (the Lat heavy :) ones)

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I am also loving on my brick of SPC Plum Pudding SR.

Quiet Nights, Gaslight, Black House, White Knight.

I have lots of other English/Balkans tins in my stash but have a hard time justifying opening more tins.

I need to get some Balkan Blue.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have so many favorites its hard to chose one. I have been smoking Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture, and some 2009 Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme a lot lately. The Balkan Supreme with age on it is great!

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Metal, I really like Skiff Mixture for sure. I need to try the Stokkebye Balkan Supreme, I really like his English Oriental Supreme.

Joseph, Balkan Blue is good also.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
SPC Plum Pudding

Star of the East Flake

This stuff my buddy brought back from a small shop in Central California called Balkan Blitz that is magical. I think it's from in/around San Jose somewhere.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Balkan Beauty is my holy grail.

I haven't tried this yet, however I have a tin of Wilderness on the way which I am excited to try. I may wait to age it if patience holds.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
English? Engine 99, no doubt, but I also am very fond of My Mixture 965, which is just quality stuff and great fun.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
I've been slowly working my way through a jar of Crown Achievement--a very BIG balkan.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think calling Black Frigate a Balkan or an English is not quite correct. I have always thought of it as an aromatic. The Latakia is so light that it’s barely perceptible and the rum flavor is so strong and possibly artificial that it most definitely qualifies as an aromatic. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good aromatic.
My favorites:
Exotique

Margate

Medal of Valor (totally under rated!)

Balkan Sasieni

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Latakia is so light that it’s barely perceptible and the rum flavor is so strong and possibly artificial that it most definitely qualifies as an aromatic.
Nope
img_20171019_112956-337x600.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Right now I'm enjoying John Bull, a pouch blend I bought from PC. Also, Sutliff Wetminster (not GLP) which is discontinued. C&D Billy Budd and Old Joe Krantz. Various others.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Just cause they lumped it into the “English” category doesn’t mean it is, they have to lump blends into certain categories for simplicity. They also list Billy Budd as an English blend, which it is not. Call it what you like but if I was suggested Black Frigate when I was wanting a proper English or Balkan Blend I would be sorely disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.