What is the Worst Pipe Tobacco You have ever Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I am refining my tastes and discovering that what I didn't like yesterday, I like today. But as of today something really disgusting, I haven't had that feeling yet. I think it would be something like a very aromatic tobacco, with an overwhelming chemical aftertaste. The ones with coffee aroma, toffee, I hate them. Very aromatic Mac Baren tobaccos, I am now tasting them. And I think it's one of the best on the market. As an inexperienced smoker with only a few years with pipe tobacco. What I do know is that I do not like a tobacco that does not taste like tobacco.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
MacBaren The Cube. I sampled it live at a pipe show and it made me sick and ruined my day. I have never sampled tobacco at a pipe show since.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

Jason H

Lurker
Sep 25, 2022
Hello all... I joined this group so I can say I tried Royal Yacht 20 years ago and i still cant get that taste out of my mouth. It should be called " Grandpas moldy shoe, Mothball blend"
I have been gun-shy to try "night cap" or other dunhill / Petersen Blends do to royal yuck tasting like a cleaning agent. I felt like I was caught swearing by an adult who made me sit in the corner with a bar of soap in my mouth.
Lots must like it cause they still make it.

• Haha
Reactions: weezell and mingc

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
"We 3 Kings" by C&D. I'm not an aromatic type guy but thought I'd give this a try. Would get a headache everytime I tried it and had to just dump the bowl.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
A lot has changed in the year and a half since I replied here the first time. Sutliff 515 RC-1 is the clear winner, hands down. Not even Autumn Evening comes close to dethroning it. It almost made me quit, seriously. I wondered if I would need primal scream therapy afterwards, although my primary concern at the time was averting a tort lawsuit from my own tongue.

Consider yourselves warned! 🤮

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I was part of a group that pooled their money to buy an old can of something Rare Fancy and Expensive at the KC show in 2011. People who knew WHAT the were buying, too, not beginners: Fred Hanna, Mike & Mary McNeil, Tad Gage, and several others.

It wasn't just bad, it wasn't just horrible, it was poisonous. Acidic, chemical-reeking, fetid, industrial nastiness like you'd expect from eating dirt at a Superfund site.

One puff did it for everyone. Mary thought she might die, all of us coughed, and Fred tried to wash it away for half an hour.

The moral of the story is obvious: Sometimes age ISN'T a good thing. LOL

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Hello all... I joined this group so I can say I tried Royal Yacht 20 years ago and i still cant get that taste out of my mouth. It should be called " Grandpas moldy shoe, Mothball blend"
I have been gun-shy to try "night cap" or other dunhill / Petersen Blends do to royal yuck tasting like a cleaning agent. I felt like I was caught swearing by an adult who made me sit in the corner with a bar of soap in my mouth.
Lots must like it cause they still make it.
You should read my opinion on the stuff - your views are mild compared to my views!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Erinmore is another one. I think they use prune juice in that one as it tastes nothing like how I remember the blend. It had course cut tobacco with big strands of black Cavendish and smelled delightful back in the 1980s. I nearly purchase a house built in the 1840s in South London circa 1990 from an elderly gentlemen who smoked the stuff. I often wondered if he was real or just some strange apparition since he always seem to avoid touching either myself or my girlfriend Boonrat at the time and always seemed to be at least five feet away from wherever we stood. Anyway I just gave away a tin to an old friend on here to enjoy as I thought the blend sucked arse!

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
On Sunday nights, I tend to just play on my phone and research random things. Today I was researching the famous Toscanello Cigarillos and found myself watching a cigar review. In this particular episode, a popular set of dudes reviewed a 40 cigar bundle that was on sale for $30. At the end they all agreed they were all pretty terrible. They wanted to know what the worst cigar you ever smoked.

I am tweaking their question and want to know from you guys, what is the worst pipe blend you have ever smoked?

I will go first: C&D Yorktown! Now to be fair, I am a huge fan of Pirate Kake (sic), Star of the East and their Christmas blends. However, Yorktown takes the trophy as the worst pipe tobacco I have ever smoked.

Your turn...
I’ve not come across a “worst” but there are some that I wouldn’t choose in the future because of personal taste.

Everyone differs and what’s right for the goose might not be right for the gander.

I appreciate that I’ve got splinters up my bum from sitting on the fence but live and let live I reckon.

Reactions: weezell

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’ve not come across a “worst” but there are some that I wouldn’t choose in the future because of personal taste.

Everyone differs and what’s right for the goose might not be right for the gander.

I appreciate that I’ve got splinters up my bum from sitting on the fence but live and let live I reckon.
Oh and the Irish Twists, bugger that for a game of soldiers!

Reactions: weezell

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
There are a number that did not agree with me at all...One often talked about, that I hate, Haunted Bookshop.

I know you're supposed to be able to try a blend, determine what you like, then isolate the constituents of the blend and go from there. The process is hit or miss for me, some things will remain a mystery. Tried a VaPer once and it made me sick...:confused: Guess i don't like that, whatever it is.

Autumn Evening is another. I read comments, reviews, ingredients and it sounded perfect, so I ordered two tins. The tin note was beautiful, smoking it was a no-go. Gave away most of it and still have one tin I need to trade away.

Reading the forum comments, I will pick up on the tastes of others. If someone chimes in and loves a blend I can't stand, I'll avoid ever trying a blend recommended by that person!

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
None of you would ever consider to buy it or even have it available but I did and some might.
"Farmer Tabak" from Planta. It has a 3/4 star review on tobaccoreviews.com but I don't know what devil has ridden those two poor reviewers.

20220926_224956 - Copy.jpg

I ordered the smallest box but they sent me the largest.
I'm convinced it wasn't out of good will or trying to please a new customer, they just wanted to get rid of this stuff. Advertised to also be suitable for cigarettes, which is not all that wrong,
but in a pipe this was just soapy.
It genuinely tasted like tobacco that was heavily soaked in plain soap and it lasted throughout the bowl.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
None of you would ever consider to buy it or even have it available but I did and some might.
"Farmer Tabak" from Planta. It has a 3/4 star review on tobaccoreviews.com but I don't know what devil has ridden those two poor reviewers.

View attachment 171390

I ordered the smallest box but they sent me the largest.
I'm convinced it wasn't out of good will or trying to please a new customer, they just wanted to get rid of this stuff. Advertised to also be suitable for cigarettes, which is not all that wrong,
but in a pipe this was just soapy.
It genuinely tasted like tobacco that was heavily soaked in plain soap and it lasted throughout the bowl.
Sounds good...LOL

Reactions: mingc