What is the Worst Pipe Tobacco You have ever Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
9 Fresh Winslow Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Rattray's Exotic Passion. Took two or three puffs and dumped the bowl. I was ok with the tin note, but something about it made my mouth go all funny.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
Have to say "Yorktown" is trash. To my imagination, reminiscent of reclaimed tobacco swept off the floor of a revolutionary era New England horse stall. And that's attributing more flavor than is actually deserved. I have to add SG Grousemoor is hot garbage. I'll wait till I'm an old man to suck on granny titties thank you.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
1792 Flake for me. I tried it "fresh" out of the tin, aired out over a week or two, in multiple pipes, just awful each time. I was convinced that my tin was contaminated or spoiled or otherwise defective, and offered it up for free on some other pipe discussion group. The fellow I sent it to said it was just fine, and was very thankful. Go figure!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Maybe ten years ago I bought a large can of Velvet that was so harsh and hot smoking I threw away the can, even after aging it a few years to try and improve it.

There is no bad commercially available pipe tobacco,,,.or not for long.:)

Pipe tobacco is like candy, chewing gum, and other tasty consumer products.

You can’t sell bad tasting pipe tobacco. You must sell different tasting pipe tobaccos for different tastes.

I hate butterscotch candy, but a lot of people have to or they couldn’t sell it.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Lane's 1Q just tastes like very little to me - it wasn't stand-out bad. However, I always wondered why it is so consistently praised.

For me "Smooth Sailing" from Ashton remains the worst thing to have ever been in my pipe and any sailor cursed with it on a voyage would have anything but smooth sailing. I imagine a visit to evict one's stomach over the side of the brig would be in order. Mutiny!

I still have the can jarred up (from probably the early 2000s). But I have never been twisted enough to try it since.

The tin note is coconut rum or a sort of sickly sweet, fruity pina-colada with a hint of cocoa. Which should have been warning enough. It was a gift... oh what a gift.

To this day I will never touch anything Ashton. Which I know is a bit silly (I hear some of their other blends are great), I've had blends I've disliked from some of my favourite blenders, but this was so bad it made me wonder why anyone would stick their name on it.

It remains on sale... available to all who want to run that horrible tongue gauntlet.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
There have not been many I have had that I would describe as "terrible" so I had to think for a moment.

Then I remembered 2 that I couldnt stand: Sutliff Maple Street & SG Squadron Leader

The Sutliff one was so chemically artificial that I did not finish the first 1/3 of the bowl.

Squadron Leader just left an awful rancid taste in my mouth and this was back when all I smoked were English blends. I still have that in a jar somewhere here and will need to revisit, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I also would have to say Velvet. I thought it was supposed to be mild and smooth, but for me it is the only tobacco I have tried that that seems like my mouth is full of bees when I smoke it. Instantly, from the first puff to the last. I smoked part of one bowl but couldn’t get through it. The rest is sitting in a jar until I decide what to do with it.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
That's a blend where after one time, and no matter how long it's been, you'll never ask yourself "Have I tried that one before?"
I hate those ultra-pungent blends. I have a tin of Cult Blood Red Moon, smoked two bowls in a cob, took three years for the ghost to go away.

• Wow
Reactions: Shortwave

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
That's a blend where after one time, and no matter how long it's been, you'll never ask yourself "Have I tried that one before?"
I see a lot of aromatics in this thread - but "frosty mint" is certainly one I will not forget smoking. To be fair though, it is exactly what it says it is.

Reactions: Shortwave