Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I enjoy cobs but rarely choose one over a briar. I think a lot of people like the open draw that cobs provide, I do too, which is why I’ve opened up 90% of my briars to Rick Newcombe’s specs. I wouldn’t have it any other way. It can be tricky to learn how to do it at first, you aren’t just opening up the stummel, you also have to open the stem from both ends as well and that can be a learning curve and it’s time consuming but for me, nothing beats a briar with an open draw (it’s the first thing I do when I get a new pipe). If you are going to do it, practice on old pipes you wouldn’t mind losing.

Reactions: weezell

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
Hi everyone from the UK. First post here. Just getting back into pipe smoking after a break of many years.

I bought an MM Legend and a pack of St Bruno on something of a whim recently, thinking if this still holds no appeal, there's no major sunk cost. But what a revelation. As others above have commented, when I think what I spent on briars back in the day, this cheap little pipe has them all beat for pennies.

In the days since I have been researching the hell out of MM and cobs, and think I'll be adding a Dagner Poker and a Country Gent to get something of a rotation going.

There's something cheerily life affirming to find MM still in business, and apparently thriving, God bless them!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hi everyone from the UK. First post here. Just getting back into pipe smoking after a break of many years.

I bought an MM Legend and a pack of St Bruno on something of a whim recently, thinking if this still holds no appeal, there's no major sunk cost. But what a revelation. As others above have commented, when I think what I spent on briars back in the day, this cheap little pipe has them all beat for pennies.

In the days since I have been researching the hell out of MM and cobs, and think I'll be adding a Dagner Poker and a Country Gent to get something of a rotation going.

There's something cheerily life affirming to find MM still in business, and apparently thriving, God bless them!
Welcome aboard from Central Kentucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.