PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Having gotten back into pipes the last few months, I've been battling with my stock of Half & Half. I used to live out, well still do, but the tub I've had for the last few years just has not been the same as the pouches I used to buy right before. I'm actually convinced I got an off batch when I bought the tub, just doesn't have the flavor I know Half & Half to have.

Anyway, i used to usually smoke it in a cob as my other pipes were heavily scented with Latakia. So I cleaned it a cob and filled it up, MUCH better, reminiscent of the H&H I knew. Not quite there still, but I can at least get some flavor out of it now.

Such a mysterious thing these cobs are haha

Mar 1, 2014
If you're using the stock plastic stems that could be an important factor.
The plastic stems used by Missouri Meerschaum have an airway better designed than practically any other pipe, high volume, no corners, and made with shapes that would be impossible to drill, those guys did their homework before making the injection molds half a century ago.
Besides durability, the Ebonite or Acrylic stems are actually a downgrade.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
If you're using the stock plastic stems that could be an important factor.
The plastic stems used by Missouri Meerschaum have an airway better designed than practically any other pipe, high volume, no corners, and made with shapes that would be impossible to drill, those guys did their homework before making the injection molds half a century ago.
Besides durability, the Ebonite or Acrylic stems are actually a downgrade.
Yep. I bought some molded vulcanite stems a while back for some of mine, and ran into that. The solution was to bore the airway out some more and then funnel the slot quite aggressively. Now they smoke like they should, and will last a lot longer than the plastic, but the plastic bits work superbly other than longevity.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Having gotten back into pipes the last few months, I've been battling with my stock of Half & Half. I used to live out, well still do, but the tub I've had for the last few years just has not been the same as the pouches I used to buy right before. I'm actually convinced I got an off batch when I bought the tub, just doesn't have the flavor I know Half & Half to have.

Anyway, i used to usually smoke it in a cob as my other pipes were heavily scented with Latakia. So I cleaned it a cob and filled it up, MUCH better, reminiscent of the H&H I knew. Not quite there still, but I can at least get some flavor out of it now.

Such a mysterious thing these cobs are haha
I've mostly abandoned the majority of my pipes, factory and artisan, for cobs.

20200822_003528.jpg

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Is there a blend like Carter Hall with zero chemical taste? Zero topping?

I started with cobs, then after a while accumulated about 7-8 briars. A friend got into cleaning them up to sell as estates and I'm down to one briar and finding it to be enough.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Oh, my, I hope that's not contagious! ?

S'posedly, cobs are the thing for burley, just like morta is the thing for latakia. Go figure, burley's just an exercise in bite and flavourlessness for me, whether it be smoked in cob or briar. ?
I know it was my fault ? but we never did complete that Burley trade a while back.
If you're still unhappy with your Burley blends, PM me and we can probably work out some sort of a trade

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I know it was my fault ? but we never did complete that Burley trade a while back.
If you're still unhappy with your Burley blends, PM me and we can probably work out some sort of a trade
You'll probably hear from me.

I'm waiting for that Savinelli Qandale and its balsa filter to give burley one last chance. It's gonna take a while, because with so many expenses right now another pipe is kind of a luxury.

Hell, I packed some Mixture 79 in my Morgan cob two Fridays ago and I had bite before I had even gotten halfway through the bowl. ?

Reactions: seanv
Status
Not open for further replies.