PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Ones I don't do anymore, from when I was younger to more recent: video games, skateboarding, archery, Soccer, Firearms, knives, fishing, consistent Long distance running, cars, craft beer/wine, camping/backpacking (thanks CA fires).

Ones I still do regularly: Motorcycle track riding, dirt biking, working out, gardening, pipes, fantasy movies, cooking, history, reading, hiking, traveling, working myself to death, developing health issues.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've given up on a few collections. Buying, selling, trading saxophones, clarinets, revolvers, pistols, folding knives, ties, suits, fedoras.... yes, I said fedoras ?☹️. Not sure if I would call them hobbies. I just get enough of those things and don't see a good reason to get more. Unless of course a really good deal comes along. ?

I did give up on photography once film died. Photography through computerized machines is cheating and anyone can shoot an incredible photo. Used to be that you needed talent to do that.
Careful, check out member Gus’s work. It is really cool and uses real photography and computer skills to create some beautiful and interesting work. While not a photographer, I understand and appreciate the film, traditional art. I can also see the art in the new form as well. And yes, there are crappy “artists”, but there are plenty of good ones too.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Upgrading my hi-fi system is something that I stopped doing a couple of years ago.
I spent a small fortune trying out different pieces of kit.
Using the knowledge that I built up, I spent another small fortune on the setup I have now.
it sounds great and does nothing wrong or badly at all.
Audio bliss at last.

Many years ago I worked for high end hi-fi shops and also for Bose for awhike. - - So I worked around very expensive audio systems all week long. As a 20 something year old guy, there was No way I could afford such audio gear. Unfortunately, the ear I developed made my own hi fi system sound like garbage. It was hard to even listen to music at home.

Sometimes ignorance Is bliss !

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I home brewed beer with my dad for a while even won some awards at the state and county fair. Haven’t made a batch in years. Also used to play table top role playing games Dungeons and Dragons ,Vampire the Masquerade etc.Just scheduling conflicts so it fell apart and I drifted away from it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Hobbies seem to come and go for me. Recently I’ve given up cutting horse competition, long range shooting and enduro motorcycle racing. I still fly fish and make cane fly rods, shoot 3 gun and train cutting horses. Who knows about next year. I’m starting to feel my age.
I had to Google cutting horse competition. I watched a couple of YouTube videos. I'm impressed. Pretty cool.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

dochowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Torrance, CA
Up until a few years back, I repaired and restored classic (late 70's early 80's) arcade games. Had a garage full and restored/sold ~70 games over 10 years. I still have 5 games left, although these are my keepers. Like a lot of things, the cost of unrestored games skyrocketed over the last 5 years and it just wasn't worth the hassle trying to buy them anymore.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Up until a few years back, I repaired and restored classic (late 70's early 80's) arcade games. Had a garage full and restored/sold ~70 games over 10 years. I still have 5 games left, although these are my keepers. Like a lot of things, the cost of unrestored games skyrocketed over the last 5 years and it just wasn't worth the hassle trying to buy them anymore.
I always wanted either Pacman, Jungle King, Kangaroo, or Zaxxon.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I collected and restored old cast iron cookware, mostly from turn of the century. It was inexpensive at the time and useable once restoration was complete. They made great gifts for newlyweds or folks that remembered the quality of their grandmother’s skillet. I never sold them. Unfortunately, prices went through the roof as the number of collectors grew. It pushed me out of the game. Plus, my wife complained daily about my ever growing collection. I’ve been slowly giving everything away. I’m down to my last remaining, and most cherished, pieces.

dochowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Torrance, CA
I always wanted either Pacman, Jungle King, Kangaroo, or Zaxxon.
I've had them all with the exception of the Kangaroo. Each were good in their own way. The ones I still have are: Donkey Kong (this will be buried next to me when I die... best childhood memories here), Time Pilot, Asteroids Deluxe, and Dragon's Lair.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I collected and restored old cast iron cookware, mostly from turn of the century. It was inexpensive at the time and useable once restoration was complete. They made great gifts for newlyweds or folks that remembered the quality of their grandmother’s skillet. I never sold them. Unfortunately, prices went through the roof as the number of collectors grew. It pushed me out of the game. Plus, my wife complained daily about my ever growing collection. I’ve been slowly giving everything away. I’m down to my last remaining, and most cherished, pieces.
How about some pics?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
How about some pics?
Most are covered in mineral oil and in storage. This one is my daily driver. Griswold #8 slant logo. 1906-1916?? Use it for biscuits and cornbread only. Smooth as a baby’s butt.

Attachments

• 696AEC77-1D7C-43B1-A912-1131ED9E07EC.jpeg
    696AEC77-1D7C-43B1-A912-1131ED9E07EC.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 6
  • BB834EDE-6C17-4D46-B25D-964D84DAE1FE.jpeg
    BB834EDE-6C17-4D46-B25D-964D84DAE1FE.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 6

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My work pretty much takes up my waking days, so hobbies, with the exception of pipes, tobaccos and their history have gone by the wayside. I used to do a fair amount of photography, collected signed limited first editions by my favorite speculative fiction writers, collected LPs and later CDs of music largely composed by centuries dead white guys, rare recordings, antiques, cabinetry, cookery, Hawaiian shirts, Roman coins, metal working, playing the piano, hiking, shooting, etc. No time and less interest, though I’m getting back into cookery and keeping up yoga and resistance training.