PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Years ago I was into lampworking (melting and shaping glass) for a couple of years. I made glass beads that my wife used for jewelry and I made a few marbles. I never could make a marble round, they always turned out a bit lop-sided. I lost interest and my wife quit making jewelry. I recently gave everything to my nephew who became interested in glassblowing and lampworking.

I raised rabbits for meat. That hobby lasted about a year. I got tired of cleaning the cages and my wife wouldn't eat anything I cooked.

I had a couple of VW bugs that I started to restore...money pits...I sold them.

Wine making about 20 years ago. I made 50 bottles for my niece's wedding. Gave that hobby up after a couple of years. i still have a few bottles.

Here's a bottle of Green Apple Riesling from 2003.
View attachment 93762

All very cool hobbies Scott. I'd like to pick up an old Bug one day but prices have skyrocketed.

I spent a small fortune trying out different pieces of kit.
Using the knowledge that I built up, I spent another small fortune on the setup I have now.
it sounds great and does nothing wrong or badly at all.

I 'collect' vinyl records as well. I use 'collect' because I haven't bought one in a while. Not enough room in my current configuration. I've got a Dual record player and a Marantz receiver with Klipsch speakers, it sounds like warm butter.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
One thing great about the internet is that there are guys who are expert enthusiasts on just about any subject you can imagine. They share that enthusiasm & knowledge on various forums dedicated to that subject. I’ve spent anywhere from a few hours to many years on such forums & have learned a great deal. - One example: flashlights. I probably own about a half dozen higher end flashlights currently. These are the type you’re not likely to find in a local general store or hardware store. Performance is far above the usual hardware store models. I learned all about flashlights by going to forums dedicated to the subject. There are guys there who are Dedicated to flashlights. They own dozens of them. They modify them. They build them. Flashlights are their passion. I have no need or desire to have as many flashlights as they have. I have no desire to dedicate the same amount of time & energy they put into flashlights. But those guys are wonderful teachers on the subject. Far better than the hardware store clerk.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
P.S. - beware of hobbies reliant on technology unless you have lotsa spare time & money. The ‘latest & greatest’ quickly becomes ho-hum (if having ‘the best’ is one of your prime motivations).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was never into a lot of hobbies. I started smoking a pipe 10 years ago, that remains a constant (includes restoring pipes)

Motorcycles - I had my license when I was 16, and rode with the wife until a few years ago. Our oldest daughter had a bad motorcycle wreck (she's OK) but the wife said "I'm done". I rode by myself/buddies for a year or so, then sold the bikes (new Triumph and an old chopper)

MGB - I suppose one of my only hobbies. We use it a lot on every decent day.

Bicycles -I rode with a local club when I was in my 30's, but gave it up and only kept a mountain bike for beach use. Two years ago, I started riding again and it's developed into a regular occurence. I ride around 70 miles per week. A few weeks ago, when I turned 60, I rode 60 miles on the nearby C&O Canal to mark the event.

20210803_113927.jpg

Jun 25, 2021
England
Hello there orlandofurioso, although I'm English I have to admit that American audio equipment is much more to my liking, and so my setup is
Moon 260D CD player
Moon 600i amplifier
Martin Logan electrostatic speakers
Cearer Audio silver interconnects
Studio Connections speaker cables
But but let's not intrude on the OP's thread.
A separate thread under general discussions with photographs of people setups could be cool, if one of us feels like starting it.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I guess I've been fortunate enough in life that my main hobbies, music and fishing, have stuck with me so far. I've made enough money playing gigs to have paid for all of my instruments, and fishing can be done pretty cheaply (plus I inherited the family boat when my dad died). I'm able to do both enough to keep the edge sharp on my skills, and I've balanced my work life enough to ensure I can still enjoy what I love.

I guess I used to like archery and shooting a lot more than I do these days. Maybe it's just that the crowd I used to do those things with have soured on me.

And hiking and backpacking. Or any form of recreational exercise. I exercise all damn day at work, I need something relaxing at home.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Guitar playing. Still have a pair of acoustics that hang on a hook, but the dedication shifted to audio technology and recording long ago to pursue a career. They were the stepping stone but I never touch them.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I have had a number of hobbies over the years. Have had some physical issues with my arms / hands that make keeping up with many of them challenging. I still occasionally return to many of them, art was once a professional endeavor born of a hobby...and is now an occasional hobby once again. Don't fish much these days, or skate, or build strange bicycles. The hobby I am keeping up with the most right now is the ukulele. It's fun, and fits into my day during lunchtime at work so I don't have really make time for it. This is 1 of the last bike builds I did. Made the ape hangers, and sissy bar. Recovered the seat, added the springer front end. It is a fun bmx frame cruiser. Still own it. I had close to 20 bikes at 1 point, and worked for 3 local bike shops...this kind of stuff was just for fun though. 0721201528.jpg

Reactions: scloyd

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I have had a number of hobbies over the years. Have had some physical issues with my arms / hands that make keeping up with many of them challenging. I still occasionally return to many of them, art was once a professional endeavor born of a hobby...and is now an occasional hobby once again. Don't fish much these days, or skate, or build strange bicycles. The hobby I am keeping up with the most right now is the ukulele. It's fun, and fits into my day during lunchtime at work so I don't have really make time for it. This is 1 of the last bike builds I did. Made the ape hangers, and sissy bar. Recovered the seat, added the springer front end. It is a fun bmx frame cruiser. Still own it. I had close to 20 bikes at 1 point, and worked for 3 local bike shops...this kind of stuff was just for fun though. View attachment 94002
Bitchin!

• Love
Reactions: Ethan

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
P.S. - beware of hobbies reliant on technology unless you have lotsa spare time & money. The ‘latest & greatest’ quickly becomes ho-hum (if having ‘the best’ is one of your prime motivations).
Yep. And the corollary: beware of hobbies that make your stuff obsolete within weeks (probably days now) and require forced, endless updates.

Reactions: 5star

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Guitar playing. Still have a pair of acoustics that hang on a hook, but the dedication shifted to audio technology and recording long ago to pursue a career. They were the stepping stone but I never touch them.
There is nothing quite as sad as an unused guitar. I should know, as mine sits patiently waiting for me.