What Do You Like Or Dislike About An Oom Paul?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The very deep chamber in my Hungarians is a treat, as I have only one or two true stacks. Sometimes a radically different bowl shape is a good thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
autumn', I've not noticed any problem with smoking or cleaning Oom-Paul. Many bent pipes don't pass a pipe cleaner, and this bothers some people, but usually not me. Mostly, cleaning out the stem and shank as far as the pipe cleaner will go is fine. If it seems a little restricted, then the usual cleaning with stem removed does the job. Smoking is about like any other pipe. Perhaps these favor dry tobacco, but I haven't noticed gurgles with any blend. Admittedly, I never bought an Oom-Paul for myself, but once I had one (and I was curious about them) everything went fine. I guess the bottom line is, if you like their looks, try one, and if not, don't bother. I don't know if I'd buy another, but I like this one. (A gift from my wife as mentioned earlier, for those not reading the whole thread.)

Reactions: ofafeather

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
It's surprising to me that such a popular shape, with such a strong cult following, has found so little support in this forum!
Oom Pauls are usually not for me because they tend to be on the larger side and I'm a small bowl type of guy. Also prefer straights or very slightly bent pipes - as every pipe with a bend on it feels like a hook in my mouth to me. But I did just order a Moonshine pipe of the year Oom Paul variant to be my handworking pipe and I'll get back to you with my impressions.

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
I hated every oom Paul I've seen until I ran across Mike Jones picture of a paneled oom Paul seen here

http://www.instagimg.com/post/mikejonestattoo37/1852509122849496373_380580731
I asked for a birdseye paneled version as a commission and I received a stunning pipe.

• Love

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I love the look but have exactly zero. I can’t abide a wet smoker but I remain a “deep bend curious” pipe dude.
Maybe one of those bent eggs Neal mentioned could be the ticket? I’d love to see one such in situ...I have a hard time imagining something that protrudes so being light in the ol’beak.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
bigpond, whether a Hungarian is a wet smoker depends on how it is constructed, I have 2 of them and my wetest smoking pipe is a Jobey Hungarian. But my Peterson Hungarian does not smoke wet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
bigpond, I have only the one Oom-Paul, but this Savenelli smokes well and smokes dry, so you might look at the Hercules series, if you are considering buying one.

I like the bulbous rendition of the full bent as shown below:

ascorti-sabbia-di-oro-oom-paul.jpg

Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like that the shape generates over ninety posts. Let's remember that when things get a little slow on here.

billjohnso20

Lurker
Dec 4, 2019
I own 9 or 10 Oom Paul shaped pipes ranging from Peterson to Vaen to Savinelli to Lindstrom to La Strada to generic examples to name a few. I love this shape especially when I need to be hands free as almost all of them rest against my chin. I have no problem with smoke getting in my eyes. The first I bought is the Savinelli which is a large example of the shape. The smallest one I have is a P&C Crown miniature version. I especially like that almost all of them have a system similar to the Peterson System that allows the moisture to collect below the stem so it cannot get into the stem and gurgle or worse get into my mouth. A few are filtered pipes which further reduces the moisture issues. I'll post pics later.

Reactions: wyfbane and JLD66

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I've got 4 Briarworks C151XLs. I like them, they smoke decently and are capable of passing a 9" pipe cleaner if you do the bend-and-twist trick, but I find I end up holding them rather than clenching them.

Aesthetically, I prefer the shape and proportions of the Moonshine Cannonball.

Functionally, I find the Cannonball clenches and hangs better--the C151XL is a really tall pipe and the stummel touches my upper chest easily if I look down or otherwise lean my head forward. I feel like it could stand to have the stem closer in length to the Cannonball's. I like the idea of a stubbier Hungarian because then they could call it the Oompauloompa.

So, as a clencher, it's a marginal proposition unless you have a neck like a giraffe. I don't know how universal this is with that particular shape.

Reactions: petes03

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've owned a few Oom Paul pipes over the years, but never kept them as I found I wasn't drawn to them to smoke very often. However about a year ago I saw this one on eBay, unsmoked for $25. It's a RoadTown Classic series pipe. These are decent pipes made in China and sold by a seller here in the US. I was drawn to the nice sandblast so I gave it a try. Hate to admit it, but it's the best Oom Paul I've ever smoked. No gurgles, average size, relatively light weight, and the pipe cleaner goes through with a little bend and twist. Just an ordinary good smoking pipe, nothing fancy.

fullsizeoutput_28c9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_28cb.jpeg

Reactions: wyfbane and petes03

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
I dislike pipes that are too big, so lucky me someone thought of making a cute little oom paul for when I have some work or reading to do.

Don't mind the messy desk, I'm working!

photo_2020-07-10_23-41-29.jpg

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
On the negative side, the association with the Apartheid leader of South Africa is unfortunate, though if you speak of it instead as a Hungarian, only somewhat learned pipers will know what you mean, and that that's it's second name. On the positive side: First, my wife bought me my Hungarian pipe, so that makes it special and appealing, as a Christmas gift. Secondly, the extreme bend and hang of the pipe gives a big bowl on a pipe that feels almost weightless. The good big bowl is quite deep and excellent for various blends, the dry Tabac-Manil Semois or Five Brothers, but other cuts and blends of various kinds. I never would have bought the pipe for myself, but having it, I appreciate it a lot. Mine is a Savinelli Hercules.
I have a Hercules, too. It’s a great pipe for clenching and the bowl is prodigious.