What Do You Like Or Dislike About An Oom Paul?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and not all Oom Pauls are beheld as such in mine. That being said, I do like them, I’m just a little particular about the execution. At the moment, I only have two. A Dunhill Root and a Savinelli Roma. The shape is probably the most comfortable, and easy to clench that there is. I tend to clench mine in the corner of my mouth. Not only is it a very comfortable position, it keeps the smoke out of my eyes. Here are mine. 7A0B236C-4C9D-46AD-BE9F-0198E3634EEF.jpegA9945A1F-8532-48FA-ABF5-3C2971354014.jpeg

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
There’s also a distinction between oom Pauls where the shank is fused vertically to the bowl and pipes that are more truly 3/4 bends or full bent. The SPC pipe locator shows a ton of variation on what they consider Ooms, including everything from 1/2-full bents and one straight prince that obviously identifies itself differently.

Perusing the selection, I found several pipes that I own that may fit the designation, including a Peterson Pub pipe and some of the other systems I have. All great smokers.

Reactions: Gecko and wyfbane

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
There’s also a distinction between oom Pauls where the shank is fused vertically to the bowl and pipes that are more truly 3/4 bends or full bent. The SPC pipe locator shows a ton of variation on what they consider Ooms, including everything from 1/2-full bents and one straight prince that obviously identifies itself differently.

Perusing the selection, I found several pipes that I own that may fit the designation, including a Peterson Pub pipe and some of the other systems I have. All great smokers.
Peterson calls the pub pipe an oom paul. Have long been tempted to buy one. I don't find myself attracted to the shape in general. It depends on the pipe and that's one that attracts me. Also love full bent. Peterson's bent house pipe would be considered a full bent and would love one of those too.

• Love
Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
On bent pipes, when my dad was alive, if he was pottering in his workshop or garden he always had a fully bent pipe hanging from his mouth. In order to keep the smoke from his face, especially while bending in the garden, he would twist the stem of axis. It worked great, though it messes with the somewhat OCD part of me. My stems have to be straight on! Lol.

Reactions: voorhees

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Peterson calls the pub pipe an oom paul. Have long been tempted to buy one. I don't find myself attracted to the shape in general. It depends on the pipe and that's one that attracts me. Also love full bent. Peterson's bent house pipe would be considered a full bent and would love one of those too.
And amazingly the prices have really come way down on these. The pubs are cheaper than some systems and I seem to recall that house pipes used to be in the $300 range but now are under $200.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I really enjoy the one I have. It’s a great clencher, can hardly tell it’s in my mouth. The downside is, if the airway gets clogged in the middle of my smoke it can be very difficult to clear as a pipe cleaner probably ain’t gonna do the trick. I am happy with just one though, it was probably the 3rd or 4th pipe I ever bought, still gets a lot of smokin’ action.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
When I dove into this endeavor in the fall of 2012, I bought 4 pipes from The Tinderbox in Tacoma. 2 of them were Estellas and one of those was a Hungarian. That thing smokes so well and the blast on it is as magical as all Estellas are.

Some of the pipes I have seen pictured I would not have called an Oom Paul/Hungarian. Not saying they aren't just that the shape was introduced to me as a narrower category. If I get some time I will try to post some pictures of mine.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
First go at a pic since the changeover.
20200713_010117.jpg
Top to bottom (I will figure out rotating pics in my phone later):

The original Estella.
The second one I bought because I liked the red/brown color.
My birth year Dunhill in a Hungarian.
A cool old Chadwick that can be smoked with or without that extender.

Love these pipes. They all smoke great.

• Love
Reactions: ofafeather

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I don’t have a proper Oom Paul, and I need to fix that. I really like a deep bend sometimes, reading, writing, working. This is the closest I have, but I do have a few full bends that let me go hands free. Funny, I seem to prefer a straight pipe when I have both hands free.
fa695ae5-7d8a-400c-ab7c-b5e58b514045-jpeg.36260

Attachments

• FA695AE5-7D8A-400C-AB7C-B5E58B514045.jpeg
    FA695AE5-7D8A-400C-AB7C-B5E58B514045.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: jpmcwjr and wyfbane

Blembob

Lurker
May 17, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I have only one with a military mount, And it's a great smoker for hands free laid back puffing. I love how it rest on my chin a bit giving a more sturdy feel when not clenching and I'm always looking for another.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Gecko

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
I have a Rossi 8614 Oom Paul that I really like.

20200714_091057.jpg

I like that the shape gives you a big chamber in a pipe that's still comfortable to clench. Perfect shape for long car drives.