What Do You Like Or Dislike About An Oom Paul?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You're very close to having the right URL to slap into the IMG tag. Just a few extra characters.
20190619_182035.jpg

Reactions: FLDRD

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I think they are beautiful, and own a few. They do draw a little moisture, so I smoke toby on the dry side with them. To me, they look so classic and feel great in the hand.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I love everything about a well-drilled Oom Paul: the easy clench; the vantage point for lighting, tamping, stirring; the compactness; and the look.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I have a couple of the Petersons previously mentioned by Irishearl and Bent. I find they are great handsfree pipes when reading a book or even working and I've not experienced any gurgling with these. Possibly helps that I like large bent pipes.
@jasonmazzy Wow, that looks like something taken from a Kangaroo...
:puffpipe:

• Haha

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
One of the first pipes I owned is a Jobey Oom Paul that was gifted to me by a good friend. I'm fond of it because of this personal association. I also find that it smokes very well and hangs off the mouth like a dream. Very comfortable to clench. One of these days I'll likely get another Oom Paul

Reactions: wyfbane

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
To address something Harris said before the bump
npod, yours are stunning.
I don't own any because I don't like anything full bent.
Yes on #1 -- Neal's pipes *AND* his photography are precisely that!! And on #2, I get where the master of cigars is coming from; there are some types that just aren't in my color wheel either. Me, I *love* a full bent (for denture reasons TOO-well-known by now! -laugh-), although it does usually need to be from any of my favorite makers -- Sav, Nording, Caminetto/Ascorti, et sl. Their full-bents just seem to always have been the ones I've gravitated toward because they work for me. It's all always Just Personal Preference -- Harris for example doesn't like jaw-hangers, & I'm the exact opposite, & that's pretty much how it shakes out for each individual. :)
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shape-wise, I like the sparer versions that emphasize the u-turn in the shank and stem, not the plumper ones or the ones that don't really have a tight u-turn, so luckily that is the kind of Hungarian/Oom-Paul I was given. It still has plenty of bowl, and the light-weight feel is emphasized more.

Reactions: Sincerely

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
As is probably true of all shapes, whether one likes that shape on a particular pipe comes down to how it was executed. My favorite pipe now is a Peterson Hungarian, their 2015 Founder's edition.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Notably, I've never had a gurgle problem with my Oom-Paul despite having the shape with the extreme u-turn. Probably its the dry old burley I favor.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I came here with the idea that I didn't like the looks of them, but after seeing some of the ones in the photos here, I've changed my mind. Some beautiful pipes.
All my pipes are currently straights. I'd want to try a half-bent before anything that extreme, but still, some fine specimens.