What Do You Do With Your Used Glass Jars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
One of the things I picked up from winemaking is that there is a difference between clean, sanitized, and sterilized. You can sterilize something and it still be dirty. One of the other things I picked up was that yeast, mold, and bacteria is EVERYWHERE AT ALL TIMES. If you don’t believe me, just start a wine and put a spoon from the dishwasher in your must. I’ll guarantee you that you’ll have vinegar in a few weeks.

My kitchen has to be ready for surgery clean before starting a wine or mead. I carry that over for dealing with my homegrown tobacco also. It’s just too easy to get mold. Drop the ball just for a second and you’ve ruined a years work.
When I used to help my grandparents can, and I mean canning to eat throughout a season until the next year or longer. Their canning area was like an operating room. It was not uncommon to pop a can of something that was 10+ years old and it was perfectly fine. You're absolutely correct about proper cleaning and sanitation. If done correctly it will last quite a long time. The smallest speck of a contaminant will ruin it in a hurry.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I generally turn mine into Molotov Cocktails.

I agree. They make spectacular fire starters for burning down small businesses and destroying the lives of people that have absolutely nothing to do with what ever the cause célèbre of the moment is. It's good to know I'm standing up for something, I just wish I knew what. With all the rioting going on now though, I'm running out!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I agree. They make spectacular fire starters for burning down small businesses and destroying the lives of people that have absolutely nothing to do with what ever the cause célèbre of the moment is. It's good to know I'm standing up for something, I just wish I knew what. With all the rioting going on now though, I'm running out!
Full disclosure. I’m a fire investigator, anyone who thinks using fire as a weapon is three things. 1. A worthless jack-off 2. Someone who has never waded through the destruction of a burned out building 3. A target for a high velocity cranial disruption round.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Full disclosure. I’m a fire investigator, anyone who thinks using fire as a weapon is three things. 1. A worthless jack-off 2. Someone who has never waded through the destruction of a burned out building 3. A target for a high velocity cranial disruption round.

I'm all three! Mostly 1 (according to grandma) and 2 (I'm not going in there, it's all charcoally and charcoal smudges on everything and if theirs one thing I'll never be, it's a disheveled looking rioter and looter. I wear seersucker suits year round and they wouldn't loo good with smudges). At least I hope mostly just 1 & 2 as the only time I've been shot at was when I honestly answered my wife when she asked if she looked fat in her new dress! (So I don't think that counts.) Thank goodness she's a terrible aim. Plus, blood and brain matter would stain seersucker horribly.

Hmmmm, IBTL? puffy

No lock, I never mentioned politics or religion. Or Kevin's fetish of dressing up like a Canadian Mounty and giving out tickets to people drinking low alcohol beer on the weekend.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Out of curiosity, have other members noticed a continued shortage of mason jars and a price increase for those available?

I uses to infuse my own alcohol and could purchase wide mouth jars for about $1 a piece, including the 32 ounce quart jars.

For the life of me, it's been nearly impossible to find 8 ounce half pint jars. If found, they are around $3 a jar on the cheap side.

Side note, some alcohol infusions look amazing in the bottle ... like apricot brandy. The apricots plump and look like golf balls that are aesthetically pleasing surrounded in brown liquid while contained in a shapely brandy bottle.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Haven't been in the market for some time.

But I find the plastic jars that Gelato comes in works well for at least medium term storage of tobacco.

Anyone use them for long term? How long?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
When we sold our house, we temporarily moved in with my in-laws. So I needed an ashtray that didn't look like an ashtray. My mother in law watches kids for a living, so I tried to hide the butts as best I could. So I drilled a hole In the lid, and spray painted it black.

PXL_20211009_141916635.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: MarkinAZ and JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Reuse. a bath in the Kitchen Sink. After a cleaning with alcohol 96º. Drying with kitchen paper. I can use them later for canning, again for tobacco, vegetables or fruit compotes. For example, here in my land, it is customary to keep canned peppers. Glass is very reusable and clean..............

dsturg369

Can't Leave
May 9, 2009
Augusta, GA
When I first started jarring tobacco, I didn't want to invest in a whole case of jars so I used old jars that I would normally throw away... Jelly jars, pickle jars, and etcetera. I remember keeping a pickled okra jar... I washed it out very well, let it dry and filled it with some or another type of tobacco, I forget what it was exactly. Well, several months later I opened the jar and found I had created a very unique pickled okra scented blend... Yuck! I have since learned to purchase new jars.

• Haha
Reactions: trouttimes

MarkinAZ

Lurker
Jun 28, 2010
Sun City West, Arizona USA
When we sold our house, we temporarily moved in with my in-laws. So I needed an ashtray that didn't look like an ashtray. My mother in law watches kids for a living, so I tried to hide the butts as best I could. So I drilled a hole In the lid, and spray painted it black.

View attachment 101646
Great idea for plant starts!

A lot of my stuff is mylared, and a few blends are still in Kerr jars. A majority of jars have been recycled to the city where we used to live. Some, have been washed in the dishwasher, new lids repurchased to be used again for pipe tobacco as needed...

Reactions: jpmcwjr